How do you all handle mean neighborhood kids coming onto your property and acting like they live there?

What dis they do, what did you do and how did they handle it?
How did their irresponsible parents handle it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My yard, my house, my rules. You can not handle any of those then you best leave. It is a respect thing. I respect my neighbors I expect it in return.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't have that problem.. Unfortunately, I have an immature adult neighbor who stirs the drama pot everyday. Calls me every name in the book & not just me..every neighbor around us.. Basically we just keep letting the landlord know.. and for some reason she calls the cops on us (she takes pills and drinks alcohol and gets delusional) and we fill the cops in./
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Um whos the adult and who is the child? Plain and simple.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Ah, we had that issue with the renters up the street last year. Their kid felt he had the right to play wherever he damn well pleased. I told him 'You have 3 seconds to leave my property, or I call the police and have you declared incorrigible. The youngest you can get locked up in SC is 6 years old- I suggest you leave and not come back." I had no issue with the parents. If I had, I would have said the same to them.

It irks me when people have no problem disrespecting and disregarding property lines.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well my yard is fenced in, and the few times that I have had a problem with neighborhood kids being brats I told them to go home and not come back. I also went and talked to 1 mom and told her that I her child is not allowed at my house/in my yard again. She was not happy, but too bad. I should not have to put up with her 'brat' bullying my kid in my yard!

You might want to call the police and ask them what your rights are in this situation-- can you post a 'private property' or 'no trespassing' sign, and if so what happens if the kid comes on your property again-- can you call the cops and report them?

You may want to tell the mom that her kid is not allowed in your yard/on your property again, and if he/she comes back you WILL take action and call the police! (maybe the threat of police involvement might do it)

good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• There are two neighbor kids that drive me nuts. Two boys, 7 and 4 (same age as my kids).
    1) They came over, chased my cats down and tried to kick them. I kicked them out of my house and told the parents, who yelled at them as soon as the front door was closed.
    2) The come over almost daily demanding an Otter Pop. The other day I was busy with about 5 things as once when they swarmed me. I finally flat out told them no, and was kind of rude about it. They haven't come over since.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Luckily, I do not have this problem.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 4:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Kids are not adults. Yes they should have manners, but they are chidlren and sometimes do not get it. I law down the law as soon as a kid comes over. I have rules and I expect them to be followed, or they can go home. I don't threaten police unless something really bad happens or they are bullies. In that case I would talk to the kids parents. Yelling at some kid makes you look like an evil witch.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Luckily my kids have some decent friends. however there are a few kids around here that are rude, disrespectful and have NO maners at all. What I do is tell them we dont do that here, you need to stop that. Theses are the rules, etc. Dont like it, Dont come over. If you tell them what is allowed and what isnt and they still do the things, then you tell them not to come back. You could always tell the parents but chances are if their kid is rude, disrespectful and ignorant the parents dont really care anyway.
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We had this problem with a little boy in the neighborhood and I finally went and talked to his mom. She got mad at me and rude with me but I basically told her if her child can't respect my children in our yard he's not welcome at our house anymore. He hasn't been back. We have recently found out that almost everyone in the neighborhood has had trouble with these kids and most of the kids don't play in their front yards anymore because of them.
    mom23girls555

Answer by mom23girls555 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2011