SO on the Devil. How does it work with out free will?

One of the answers said angels have no free will. I am curious about that belief. Does that mean that the Devil is really doing god's works? Can an angel really fall from grace if they have no free will?

Just really curious not bashing.

Alanaplus3

Asked by Alanaplus3 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Great question! I've wondered about that myself.

Mommycjs

Answer by Mommycjs at 1:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I am unfamiliar with the response you are talking about, however, angels do have free will. Lucifer acted upon his free will in heaven and went the other way.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 2:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have also heard they do not have free will and to me that would mean Satan would have to be doing exactly what God wanted- yes

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• In Christianity, angels are believed to have free will. that's why Satan is considered an independent entity. In Judaism, however, angels are simply messengers, they have no free will. The only creatures that have free will (which means the capacity to make moral choices) are human beings.
    The concept of "Satan" actually comes from the OT, however, it completely changed with Christianity. In Judaism, Satan (actually called HaSatan, meaning The "accuser") is doing his "job" given to him by G-d. The example that I always give is that of a prosecutor. He has to present the "charges" (our transgressions) and talk against us and even tempt us. But just as a human prosecutor works WITH the system, not against it, Satan works with G-d, not against Him and as unpleasant as his "job" is, it's a necessary job. And lacking free will, Satan can only do what G-d commands him to do.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• So than god wants you tested and tempet and the devil does it. So than the devil would not be evil. So in Judaism there probably not a lot of people saying the devil made me do it?
    Alanaplus3

Comment by Alanaplus3 (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Also does Judaism lack what Christianity calls fallen angels?

Alanaplus3

Comment by Alanaplus3 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Whoever said that angels don't have free will is mistaken. Not only did Lucifer exercise his free will when he tried to exalt himself, 1/3 of the other angels exercised theirs when they followed Lucifer out of heaven.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 5:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• "Whoever said that angels don't have free will is mistaken."

As I said, according to CHRISTIAN beliefs, angels do have free will, according to JEWISH beliefs they don't. So unless you can PROVE to me that Jewish beliefs are mistaken, you really cannot make that statement.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• "So in Judaism there probably not a lot of people saying the devil made me do it?"

No, not many. Judaism, especially the Orthodox branch, places a lot of importance in personal accountability. We're all 100% responsible for our choices and are actions and we're the ones that have to atone for them and make corrections. No one can do that for us, that's another reason why Jews don't believe in Jesus.

"Also does Judaism lack what Christianity calls fallen angels?"

No, that concept is unknown in Judaism

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• "So than god wants you tested and tempet and the devil does it. So than the devil would not be evil."

Yup just what I was thinking. And lets face it...god wishes to punish those that do "sin" and the devil is the punisher. So really, aren't they on the same side of the street?!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2011