Infant Eczema

My 4 month old has eczema and I saw that the topical cream at the store is expensive. Are there any at home treatments or ways to help her skin?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Kids' Health

• We used Aveeno for sensitive skin bath wash and lotion. Don't bathe too often because it will dry their skin out worse. Rinse your clothing an extra time or use dye-free, fragrance-free detergents and fabric softeners.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• MY SON HAS ECZEMA MY PED GIVE ME A PRESCRIPTION FOR DESOXIMETASONE 0.25 % and it clear up also i use aquaphor daily you can get it at walmart for $ 7
    motheroftwins26

Answer by motheroftwins26 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Two of mine had eczema, on severe. I used Cortisone 1% and moisturized several times a day with a good moisturizer. I actually kept it in an area I frequented and slapped some on whenever I remembered. I also added moisturizing bath beads to his bath water. It cleared up and with regular moisturizing has been gone ever since.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Oh also with baby's, make sure your laundry detergent is for babies or double rinse all your clothes and don't use softener. Eczema is actually an allergic reaction, so if u pin point the source you will get a lot further.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Aveeno has worked great with all 3 of my little ones! Do the Aveeno bath wash and then the Aveeno lotion.
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Everyone has great suggestions so my only suggestion is Triple Cream. I use it for my son when he flairs bad. It can be a little greasy but I love it. I think we paid like $14 for it at wal-mart but it lasts for a long time.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 11:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• My daughter had it when she was small and I just used coconut oil and it worked great! She didn't have it very bad though so I don't know how it would work for eczema that is more serious.
    Sunshine519

Answer by Sunshine519 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Control the itching with topical creams; be leary of prescription creams as many of them contain cancer-causing ingredients. Eczema is actually a sign of an allergic reaction or of too much yeast in the body; dairy is a common culprit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My 6 year old had eczema, since he inherited my sensitive skin. I used eczema treatments and they didn't work for him, but the one thing that did was Eucerin calming cream. It's just a lotion, a bit on the expensive side, but you can buy a small bottle and try it out. It made a difference for him in 3 days. Also, I'm not knowledgeable on home remedies, but you should do a google search on that. search 'home remedies eczema' or something along those lines, that's how I get all my answers for stuff like that!
    ModernHera

Answer by ModernHera at 10:02 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• 2 Of my DD have eczema and allergies. The key is to keep it moisturized. If its just a spot on the body i would consider a steroid cream and it will take it away. If its all over the body then I would use Aquaphore several times a day to keep itching down and dryness away. I would call the Ped to see if there is anything stronger if it does not go away. Itching can cause open sores on baby which could turn into an infection, so keep it moisturized. When you wash baby use a soap called cetephil. A lot of "eczema" type of soap still contains perfumes and other chemicals that will make the skin dry and irritated. This is all what my allergist recommended to me and it helps.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 23, 2008