Is it worth the trouble? adult content

My mom is a narcisstic bitch. 3 years ago we lived with her. We paid the utilities and my husband redid her bathroom from the beams up. When we moved in she told us to focus on paying our bills and saving money.

Two days ago I get an email. She says it's not far that we have rebuilt our credit and that we have a decent life. She wants 10k for the time we lived with her. Now we are by no means rich. My husband is a supervisor for Tyson and we moved across the state with his job. We are renting a rundown house and my kids are in hand me downs. We are working on rebuilding our credit to buy a house. Her house forclosed today. I am sorry her house was lost. She should never have bought it. She works a minimum wage job and wastes most her income.

I told her I don't believe we owe her the money. She's my mom, should I pay to maintain some sort of connection? Or tell her to go away?

kansasmom1978

Asked by kansasmom1978 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• Was there any legal agreement? She may just haul you to court.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• wow that's messed up i'm sorry mama *HUGS*
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 1:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• She sounds borderline...........tell her you love her, but NO WAY will you (even if you could afford it) pay her $10,000!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Give her a bill for $10,000 for redoing the bathroom. If she did not want to get paid then, she cannot expect to change the rules 3 years later because she's hurting for money. She sounds selfish and juvenile

vampporcupine

Answer by vampporcupine at 1:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• She was there when you needed her, she asking for help, I think you should reciprocate, come to some sort of compromise. Did she tell you to go away?

Answer by older at 1:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• What a mess ~ and how did she manage to buy a house when she makes minimum wage?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• There is no legal agreement. No paperwork and no proof. I do have receipts for paying for her house payment and equity loan numerous times. I also had the electric in my name, even after we moved across the state I left it in my name because she could not afford to switch it over. I had to pay several times so her electric stayed on.

I have no idea how she bought a house. She bought a car the same year and when it was two months from being paid off she refinanced it for cash. She now has a 10 year loan on a 15 year old car that is falling apart. She pulled a 10k equity loan out on the house to buy a front door. There is no way it took all the money for the door she bought.
    She has no idea that the equity loan is not going away. The house payment is gone. She had mortgage insurance which was the smartest thing she has done. But the equity loan is from another bank.

It's nuts.
    kansasmom1978

Comment by kansasmom1978 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• If you have a paper trail for what you paid for, don't pay her a damned thing, and tell her to take a flying leap. She doesn't have a leg to stand on, let her take you to court. Then, file for HER to pay the court costs. They will go after her for them. Chances are though, she's just making threats, unless she really is a bit on the psychotic side. Yes, she did let you live with her, however, you did not live there for free. You living there helped her out, too. Not just your family. So no, you are not obligated to help her now. And certainly not since she is she is trying to threaten you into paying her off. How long did you live there, anyway? That she feels she can justify 10K?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• 1 and half years!

About 1 and half years too long
    kansasmom1978

Comment by kansasmom1978 (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011