Does your 11/12 month old still suck a pacifier?

I feel guilty about it although no one has really said anything to me I feel like he's getting too big for a pacifier. I don't give it to him all the time, only for his daytime nap and to go to bed at night. Is it really such a big deal? There's so much drama around pacifiers nowadays. He has 4 little teeth but the pacifier really soothes him and helps him fall asleep when he's really cranky. How many mothers are still giving their kids pacifiers at almost 1 year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 13 month old sucked on her passie until she was 11 mos and she still needs it from time to time, if it gives your baby comfort than I don't see anything wrong.
    qustnmrk28

Answer by qustnmrk28 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We did with both of our kids. The night before their 1st birthday we went through the house, car and diaper bag and scooped up all the pacifiers we could find. We then threw them in the trash. So they woke up on their first birthday and they were nowhere to be found, or used. It was hard on us parents for about a week, but then things were fine.

My kids are now 7 and 4 and are healthy, happy, ACTIVE kids. When my 4 year old was little we found a pacifier that has been missed in the round up. She grabbed it and threw it in the garbage before I could tell her to.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Meant to add this too: My husband and I can not stand seeing a 2-5 year old trying to talk around that darn plug in their mouth. We flat refused to let our kids be like that. We talked and agreed that one year was long enough. Our kids had already started to self soothe anyway.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think that for now it's a good comfort for him. My dd had a soother till she was 13 or so months. Give it to him as needed if you're concerned.
    But unless you intend to let him have it until he's almost 5 like a little girl I know I wouldn't sweat it.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I did give him his pacifier after he turned one, I didn't start fazing it out until he was done teething. All his teeth are in expect molars. he's almost 20 months and he doesn't have his pacifer at all anymore, I fazed it out slowly maybe for a couple of naps, and all day. only for going to bed etc. but, he is basically fine, with out of sight out of mind. Just experient and don't worry about it being not early enough etc. Most times then not your baby will let you know if they are still interested in it.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with a baby having a paci when they are going to sleep. If they have it all day, it can interfere with their speech development but at night it's not going to hurt anything. I limited it to the crib at 12 months. My oldest "lost" his one night and cried, but never asked for it again. My 4th child just lost interest in his at 20 months on his own.

Answer by missanc at 5:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011