Comments on newspaper articles.

Recently I was reading a newspaper article about a guy who committed suicide by cop. Some of the comments on the article were horrible. Talking about how the guy did not deserve to live and stupid people should die and all kinds of crazy stuff. I just felt bad for the guys family. They did not make the decision to end his life...he did. No matter how he died their grief is real. I am betting some of them even read the comments.

Back in 2008 my 17 y/o nephew was killed in a car crash. Now he was in the front passenger seat but turned around in his seatbelt facing the backseat. The driver swerved to miss another car and flipped the SUV. My nephew was thrown from the car. The comments on that article were horrible. Saying that the world was a better place without a couple of thugs...he should have been seated properly, and all kinds of other comments that no longer mattered. First...he was no thug...he was already signed up to join the Army after he graduated, second...kids think they are invinceble, and no his daddy didn't raise him right and teach him all the things he should have....but he did his best. He did not deserve to die and we did not deserve the grief.

Have you read articles and then looked at the comments and wondered what the hell people were thinking? Has the world gone heartless? Because I have seen this more and more as time goes on.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not so much in newspapers but on internet news sites, yes . The people who comment on yahoo news items include some of the most miserable , negative and vulgar I have seen .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Not the world, just the internet. The comments on CNN are usually pretty repulsive.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I do notice and don't care for it. Sometimes, I force myself to read comments "just to see the views of those who may not agree with me", but I always find myself sickened by the heartlessness. Usually, I try to avoid them. I am 100% in favour of civil discourse only. Not only am I not convinced by rudeness, but I find myself wanting to take the other side to distance myself from it.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's the internet, and the many people who populate it, but are too stupid to know they aren't as anonymous as they think. A while ago I posted about a rape case at a high school a few towns away from us. The case was bad enough, but the local news had hundreds of comments arguing about it, many from friends and classmates of the rapists (who shot video of what they were doing with a phone) defending them and calling the girls sluts.

The comments got worse because, based on what people were saying, others from the area could identify them and essentially "out" them, opening them up to harassment from around the net.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Compassion seems to be lacking nowdays ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:11 PM on Jun. 21, 2011