Does anyone know?

Do you let rabbits run about freely like a cat or do they have to be caged? I would hate to have an animal that is caged. Is it wise to let them run free in the house?

Bugzmomma

Asked by Bugzmomma at 1:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pets

• They really should be caged. Otherwise you have urine and feces all over the house. You can let them out in a small space sometimes, but letting them roam freely isn't the best idea.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• again, only going after what my friend has told me, she has to cage her when they are not home but her and DH work different shifts but she needs to be watched all the time, especially as a new baby bunny because of the chewing, especially on wires and cords. SO she will crate her during the day and the DH lets her out and plays during the day and then she also does when she comes home but it needs to be constantly watching, more than your child I guess!! lol!~ I am not sure if once you get the wires and cords taken care of or protected, if eventually you can let them run but I think once potty trained, you should be able to.. she is worried to just yet because they can get in almost the smallest of places and she worries about losing her or her getting stuck somewhere.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I just got a baby bunny and we let him run free for a couple hours a day. He has a HUGE cage so it's not like a real cage, more like the whole back porch!
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 1:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I raise rabbits. If they are housepets, you can let them run free. You can litter train them. If they haven't been trained, they will poop all over.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Than can be left to run around the house though make sure it is safe enough for them to do so. I'd also keep a pen or cage of some sorts to keep them in over night until they are accustomed to their surroundings. I haven't had a bunny since I was a little kid but I do have a ferret, it took a little while to train him but during the day I leave his cage door open and he comes and goes as he pleases.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 3:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I learned something new; I didn't know you could litter train a rabbit. lol. Letting one run free in your house is NOT a good idea. They are constantly pooping!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I believe that lop-eared bunnies can be litter trained. I don't think other breeds can be. You don't want a pet pooping and peeing all over your home.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• they need to be caged
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• actually after a few months in a cage with a litter box in it, the rabbit can be trained to only use the litter box and then you can leave the cage open for him to come and go as he pleases. Keep in mind, though... rabbits chew through cords, and pillows and LOVE LOVE LOVE wooden legs on chairs and tables so having a cage isn't an awful idea. There are some really large ones that give plenty of space out there.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 22, 2011