Mirena adult content

Does/Did anyone have the Mirena IUD? I'm really leaning towards getting it but I'm scared of all the horror stories I have heard about it, but I want to be prepared and informed also.

Does it hurt?
Did it cause excessive bleeding or stop cycle altogether?
Did it have any sexual side effects?

The sexual side effects question is the most important to me... pain will eventually subside and my cycle is terrible now. But I have had trouble in the past with BC making me not ever want to be with DH... So I'm really tying to avoid that if I can. But I have to choose some kind of BC because I need somthing to get rid of cysts that have formed while I have not been on BC.

Finkette

Asked by Finkette at 2:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Health

• I have one, and love it.
     I would recommend it to anyone!

The first 3 months I had irregular bleeding(dr said it was very normal), but since then I have not had a normal period. I have very light spotting a couple days a month, but that's it! I had no pain with it. And it has not negatively affected our sex life at all. If anything it has made it better because it keeps my hormones and mood swings (that come with my cycle) to a bare minimum.

ShantelRenee

Answer by ShantelRenee at 2:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have one, and I am very happy with it. No pain, no excessive bleeding (more irregular spotting, but I have heavy irregular periods without it, so this is an improvement). No sexual side effects for me. I'm quite happy with it! I'd recommend it to anyone! Also, it's THE most effective form of birth control, even more effective than a tubal ligation or vasectomy. It's the most common form of birth control among health care providers. You'll always hear horror stories with ANYTHING. Nothing is foolproof, and nothing is without SOME risks. But overall, the Mirena IUD is a great BC option.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Oh, also, it's very instantly reversible. I got pregnant with DS the first cycle after my last one was removed.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree with musicpisces. I haven't had any trouble with mine. I have a bit of spotting every 3 months and that's it. It wasn't painful and I haven't had cramps or anything but I think a bit more acne. No change in my sex drive.
    Faye-Tula

Answer by Faye-Tula at 2:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I bled for almost 6 months but had no pain. now my period lasts 2 days with no cramping.
    southernbelletx

Answer by southernbelletx at 2:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I had it for 4 years, just had it removed to TTC. My period was regular, but it was pretty much 3-4 days of spotting rather than a normal flow. As far a sexual side effect, I found that we did need to use lubricant more often, but my sex drive was pretty much the same. I would totally use one again, it was great.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2011