Do you believe in "rebound bf/gf" after a split?

Kind of another S/O of the "how to get bf back from rebound gf" question.

pookiekins34

Asked by pookiekins34 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• No, especially not for those with children. People really do need to stop and think about how their bed hopping is effecting their kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think some people do have a rebound, but some of the time, it's just moving on.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Its not a matter of believing in it or not and it isnt juvenile, its human nature and quite common from what I understand.. people tend to gravitate towards the polar opposite of their x's which might also mean someone that might not be a good fit for them.. when I split with my boring, couch potato, never ever wanted to go out at all boyfriend, I dated someone who LOVED going out & having a good time, we never stopped and it was like a breath of fresh air and excitement for me that I had been so hungry for, but after awhile I began to see that he wasnt what I wanted either... I needed someone in between the two extremes.. Someone whos content to stay home, watch movies, eat popcorn.. BBQ.. but likes to go out and have a good time sometimes too.. Live & learn, its a process, do any of us really have it all figured out?
    Anonymous

• I will be honest.. when I broke up with my boyfriend of 8 years for cheating on me.. I got with someone else pretty quickly. I kinda felt like i NEEDED someone.. I'm glad that passed! lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Do I believe in them, like do I believe in fairies? Sure, I believe rebound relationships happen. Would I have one for myself? I don't think so. I just got out of a really bad relationship, and the last thing I want right now is another man. In fact, if a man isn't related to me, I don't want to be anywhere near him right now.

I do think there are people that do have rebound relationships, but I can't really say it's juvenile or a bad idea or whatever. I mean, even though I don't want to be around men right now, I do still feel that "I don't want to be alone" urge, so I can see why someone would do it.

I also think that a lot of the time, the person is confused, so they don't really see it as a rebound. They truly think they are ready to move on.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yep, been there, done that, and got the t-shirt(haha jk). But seriously, I've had my rebounds. I think I've learned enough in the last 18 months that if anything ever happened to me and my fiance, I don't believe I'd "need" a rebound.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• it has been almost 9 months since i left him
    and i have not once even had a date, so...
    my answer would be NO i do not believe jumping into another relationship is good for anyone
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I was so happy to be free from my relationship that I was thrilled to be on my own after that period. I had no room in my life or my heart for any other (new) human being for quite some time. Maybe for some, they do gravitate or whatever... you can reason out alot of things, but it's not for me. I was more than willing to stand on my own two legs after a broken relationship and didn't want any other person messing that up,..polar opposite or not. People may do that but I don't think it's healthy to need another person after a broken relationship....I think it's just that....--needy.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 4:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Its not "needy" Kellygirl, who among us doesn't have needs anyway? We're all human, even tnose of us who like to pretend we're above it all somehow. The fun I had with my rebound guy was exacrly what I "needed" at the time. People come into our lives for a reason, even if it is just a temporary thing it shouldnt be dismissed as unimportant somehow. My rebound guy snapped me out of my depression and reminded me how to have fun again. He was soo good for me, I'll always be grateful I met him when I did and even now, 3 yrs later I still value the things I learned from him & carry them with me.
    Anonymous

• Wendy the writer said it amazingly.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 6:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2011