How Can I Help My 4 Year Old to Sleep in His Underwear?

He has been potty trained during the day for a year now, but still uses a pull-up at nap time and bed time. He REALLY wants to start wearing underwear, but he's such a heavy sleeper and doesn't wake up when he has to pee. During the day we have lunch right before nap time, so because he drinks water right before laying down, so he pees in his pull-up. I know that at night we can stop giving him water by 7:00 and that can help him not pee in the middle of the night, but what about during the day?

I really can't change our lunch and nap schedule because I also have a 20 month old son and it just won't work any other way. Any ideas? Thanks ladies!

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Bump!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• During the day I would have him go to the bathroom right before you lay him down. Even if he says he doesnt have to chances are he will...my son does it and it works...dry undies! Hope this helps!!
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Maybe at 4 it's time to stop the nap? At night, there is really nothing you can do. Try not giving liquids at night and see if that works. Otherwise, just wait until his bladder matures.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I am dealing with this with my son. He stays dry after a day nap but is wet every morning regardless of whether he peed before bed, didn't drink water or whatever else we have tried! If I try to wake him to go, he just screams and will not go. So we are just putting him in pull up underware and we are waiting for him to just mature enough that it ends. I just wanted you to know you are not alone and I will bump you and watch for answers!!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Staying dry overnight or naptime is more a sleep issue than a bladder issue and some kids don't stay dry at night until the age of like 7 or 8 or even 9 years old. Don't pressure him. You can't make him stay dry at night until he is developmentally ready, but you can NOT cause all sorts of self-esteem and confidence issues by making a fuss about it. Do NOT punish a night-time pee, don't make him try to come up with excuses, don't make him go to bed thirsty. Just leave him in pullups until they are consistenly dry in the morning.

I've got 6 kids, mostly they were dry at night about the time they were day-time potty trained or before, but one was a bedwetter until well into Primary School. I just bought a mattress protector and got in the habit of washing her sheets - there's nothing else you can do. They grow out of it eventually, in their own time.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 1:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Night-training is physiological, not learned. There's a signal that goes from the bladder to the brain, telling the child he needs to wake up and go pee. We're not born with it; it comes with age. Some kids get it as early as three, but others don't get it until about 6. Most pediatricians don't even consider bedwetting an issue until the child is at least 5 or 6.

http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/A-Potty-Accidents-Nighttime.html
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I really appreciate the responses ladies! This is definitely something I am not pressuring him to do, in fact, I am okay with him wearing his pull-ups. He is the one who wants to wear underwear to bed, and he has told me this almost every time he has put on a pull-up for the past week. He "wants to be a big boy!" It helps to understand that this is necessarily something I can teach him, and that it will most likely come to him as he matures a little more...
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• See if he'll wear underwear and then a pull-up over that. We did that with my son, and he seemed to like it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:15 PM on Jun. 22, 2011