What do you think about our public school system?

We have a 5 month old and my SO thinks our daughter should be home schooled because he thinks public school just teaches children to memorize and private school is usually so expensive, plus he would want a christian school and I am not christian.

At this moment, I have not made a decision myself because I do not have any experience with the current school system.  It has been 10 years since I myself have attended.

Are public schools really as bad as he says? How do you find a good public school system?  Where do you think public schools will be in 4 years? Where do your children go to school? Do you have any children that are home schooled or attend private school?

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 2:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We homeschool our kids because our public schools are so focused on the end of the year tests (which grade the schools, not the kids) that they won't teach all of the state standards, only what is on the test. Since we started homeschooling our kids have learned so much more, spend less time doing busy work and actually enjoy their education.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think public school is not as great as it was when I went. Our dd is in private school, and I would never have her anywhere else. I have a relative who teaches high school math, and she has to have a body guard in the classroom with her. Stuff like that did not happen when I was in high school. It just is not safe anymore, the students don't care, and the students do not learn in that kind of environment. Home schooling was not an option for me, I just could not do it.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 2:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We do, by the way, get aid in paying for her schooling. We couldn't do it otherwise. So, when the time comes, check into it!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 2:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• The status of public schools depends on where you live. The schools in my area are fantastic. They're well funded and they're giving children not just academic basics, but also the ability to think critically and creatively. In my state alone there are plenty of districts like ours - and plenty not.

No one should make any blanket statements about "all" public schools. You need to get to know the one YOU are in and make the decision for *that* one.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It depends on where you live. I love our public school so far! They taught my son to read and write in one year... yes, he knew his letters, but not all the sounds. I couldn't teach it to him, because I don't know good ways to teach it- I could read when I was young and don't remember how I learned. But they did it! He also learned to fit in with other 6 year old boys better (which I can't teach, and wouldn't like the HS get-togethers) and such.

I have to admit that I'd prefer more discipline, like the private schools can offer, but even though I am Christian, I don't want to pay for it (3 kids ages 2, 4, 6!) and we take care of religious education ourselves, through our church. I do worry about the lack of PS funding, but it's not a major issue for us yet. Our district takes care of teachers first, not admin or landscaping.

Honestly, if I feel something lacking in PS, I will supplement. It'd have to be bad for me to only HS
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• in my home state of nc it sucks..the school systems there have be 'dumbed' down so horribly! According to the principle they have dumbed it down bc of all the immigrants in the area..they even have the no child left behind program where regardless of their grades they are promoted..this is how my sd 14 passed her last two grades..the kids know they dont even have to apply themselves to pass so they dont bother...at the end of this school yr my sd was enrolled in school in ga..they dont have the no child left behind program and she had to work her tail off to pass this yr but she did with A's/B's I was so proud!! Also in nc the schools are so run down and need maintanience...here in ga they are all very clean looking and kept up to date..when its time for my dd 1 to start school in nc she will probably be home schooled bs the programs there are lacking so horribly
    Anonymous

• How do you find a good public school system?
    Gingerwheel

Comment by Gingerwheel (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• GIngerwheel - you ask around. You look up your state Dept of Ed stats and see how the schools rank. You ask people that live in the area what their impressions are. You google up some information. Talk to real estate agents that cover more than one community on a regular basis.

We moved to the town we live in in part because of the school system. I grew up in this town. When my parents were looking to move about 33 years ago they pulled stats, they talked to people and they selected a neighborhood where we'd go to one of the top schools in a district that was ranked one of the top in the state. When DH and I were looking to buy a house we did the same and ended up moving to the same town, different neighborhood. My elementary school and my kid's have been exchanging the 1 and 2 spot in our district (out of 14 elementary schools) between themselves for the last 4 decades
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 5:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• In my area there is one public school people joke about and call it tge private school of the county. It is hard to even stay in it if you live in district and a lottery for those wishing to attend in the county. Some in the area are decent. It depends on your child and how you as the parent work with them. It also depends on what needs your specific child has. In my child's situation I do not believe our local public schools can meet his needs nor provide the quality I would like to have. It has nothing to do with expecting my child to be a super genius. It has everything to do with just meeting him where he is at what ever level that may be. I have chosen a private school and am quite pleased with their ability to meet his needs. I have been paying tuition for three years and anticipate many more years of private education ahead.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 5:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2011