Does your family have a "family secret" that is silently agreed upon to never discuss?

I just found out a doozy of a family secret involving the in-laws. I would have never guessed anything close to it.

pookiekins34

Asked by pookiekins34 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Relationships

• No not really. What was yours?
    megclark22

Answer by megclark22 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Not a secret, really. I have an uncle who served in Vietnam, and it's an unspoken agreement that it does not get brought up unless he brings it up. But it's more of a respect for his peace of mind and privacy than a secret really. All of my family is really pretty open. Well, actually, no I take that back. I do have a secret - I will not tell my grandparents that I just left my boyfriend because he was mentally abusive. And the rest of my family does know, and they won't tell my grandparents because I asked them not to. So I guess we kind of do.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My grandfather is my father. He had sex with all of his daughters and I also was molested by him when my mom sent me to stay with him while she was with her boyfriend. My mom gave birth to me at the age of 14.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 2:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• nope
    at least none that i have found out about
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, several.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 3:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, our family has several. My mom and her sisters all have different dads, and my two aunts have have fathers who are brothers. All of the girls (my mom and her sisters) were named after women that my grandfather cheated with (he picked their middle names). My grandmother was hospitalized for some sort of breakdown, but I haven't been privy to too much of that information yet. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I've learned so far.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 3:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I recently found out that my FIL secretly tapped his own mother's phone line to record her conversations while he was away at work everyday. He and his wife (my MIL, were living with her at the time) did this to find out what she was doing with her fortune when she dies. They wanted to know who she was leaving the properties to, who she was leaving portions of money to and so on. The thought of it just turns my stomach. Maybe there's something 'wrong' with me....but I think this is one of the lowest things I've ever heard of. I am shocked and sickened at the lengths people will go to when it comes to MONEY. On the outside you would think these people were absolute pillars of the community etc. You would never ever even suspect these people of something like this. It's a long story but...no matter what reasoning they had, I think it's just WRONG. It's HER money. She can take it with her if she wants to.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 4:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My mom gave a baby up for adoption right before she married my dad and had me. Why in the world she'd marry a guy who basically said "the kid or me" is beyond me...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Not in this generation but the last. My Grandmother had my great uncle out of wedlock and she was sent away to have him. When she came home he was raised as her brother and it was kept a secret for about 30 years.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011