Have you ever switched religions? Why? Why not?

pookiekins34

Asked by pookiekins34 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've considered it, but then i realized that I'll always have a Christian foundation and a Christian way of looking at things, so instead of trying to find a religion to try to make myself "fit" into, I adopted a title (Christian Universalist) that can grow with me as my faith continues to be cultivated and change over time.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I tried for too many years to be a Christian. It just wasn't my path. I finally found my path and I am much happier now. I am an Eclectic Spiritual Witch (pagan that is).
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I was raised nominally Christian. As a teen I decided to learn more about Christianity so I read the Bible cover to cover... I realized that the portrayal of God in the Bible, particularly in the Old Testament, was nowhere near what my conception of God was. I also felt I didn't meet the 'entrance criteria' for Christianity- I thought a lot of aspects of the Jesus story were mythology, like the virgin birth and the resurrection, although I agreed with much of what Jesus taught. I felt with Christianity that I was expected to take all the dogma at face value and I just wasn't able to do so.
    At this point, I practice Buddhism, still draw somewhat on my Christian backgound, and am a pantheist as far as beliefs about God.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, I went from Mormon to being an Eclectic Witch.

Why? because I realized everything Id ever known in life was based on lies and my world shattered. So then I went on a journey of spiritual discovery and found my peace, joy, and answers(that I thought Id have to wait til I died to get answers to)on this path.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I was raised as a Baptist,but I just wasn't feeling it. I learned about Islam and became a Muslim. But, I studied and attended different masjids before making a decision. I feel at peace.
    remark

Answer by remark at 9:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I grew up Caholic...I'm now Atheist
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 2:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I grew up Catholic, am now Kemetic Orthodox.
    I read the bible and realized (for me) it was a fallacy ...
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Recovering Catholic turned Happy Pagan
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Catholic and now a proud conservative southern Baptist :)
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I grew up going to a Presbyterian church, but I never really believed in a personal God the way most Christians do. I do follow many of Jesus' teachings--as many others do as well, but consider him fully human & not the son of God. I discovered & practiced Wicca for several years as a teenager &young adult, but I saw gods and goddesses as metaphor. Later, I started studying Buddhism & other religions like Hinduism, & was very drawn to Buddhism and felt like many of the teachings fit into my world view. Later, I heard about Scientific Pantheism (also sometimes called Naturalistic Pantheism), and finally had a name for what I've always believed about God or the Universe. I just always referred to it as the Universe or Nature, and though my views were always pantheistic, I wasn't sure they fit into some pantheistic perspectives I had heard of previously. In recent years, I have also been studying Taoism as well as Buddhism.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011