Lactose intolerante? so CoNfUsEd

My 2 month old has been gassy,with diareah,irratable,abnominal pain,and a low grade fever for the past month off an on. I took him and talked to his pediatrician about this and they diagnosed him with an infection. They told me to give him pedialyte for 6 hours then give him soy based formula to firm up his bowel movements. Within like a week his symptoms came back after i gave him his normal formula so . i did it again then after giving him his regular formula it happened again so i came to the conclusion he might have lactose intolerance or a milk intolerance so i then switched him to nutramigen (lactose free/milk free) it worked his poop was light brown he was happy and calm all the time and hes been on it for a week and as of last night his symptoms are back along with the green seedy poop. all i can think of that might have caused this was colic calm (gas drop for feflux , gas , and colic) i gave this to him for gas and i gave it to him bc he was fussy and i thought it was gas...were those symptoms coming back or did i cause it by giving it to him but i have done this b4 and he was fine. im so confused should i try to switch to goat milk or what? all i know is that he isnt fussy when i gave him pedialyte so is it safe to give this to him on a regular basis??? what do u think it might be or what i should do? oh and his pedia just tells me to keep doing the same thing.

renah164

Asked by renah164 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Health

• Babies get fussy in spurts when they grow, I would keep him on nutramigen as it seemed to work better than anything else and you do need to try things for at least 2 to 3 weeks to see constant improvement, if it is colic, you will notice episodes of extreme and unconsolable crying, is he doing that? some babies are just fussier than most.. No goats milk OR constant pedialyte unless ok per your Dr.. sadly most of these infant type things DO just need take time to get rid of 0- my son was colic for 6 months and had all the above symptoms except my Ped didn't even tell me about milk allergy or trying things for at least 2 weeks os I was constantly changing his formula and it was making things worse, I did find out at 12 months he really WAS lactose intolerant but only found out by the ezcema it created..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• pedialite isnt bad to give your baby it like gatorade for babies my mom friend whos a pharmacist gives her two year old pedialite al the time also i'm lactose intolerant and sometimes it doesn't matter what you do your tummy just acts up you have good days and you have bad days good luck
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2011