How do you say "No" to your kids when other parents say "Yes"?

Everyone has their own beliefs and choices when it comes to parenting. How do you tell your child no is other parents are allowing their children to do what you do not allow?

Gingerwheel

Asked by Gingerwheel at 2:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• It depends on the situation and age. If they are small then its a simple "Whose in charge again?" question. If they are older tweens or teens we sit down and I let them plead their case, I talk to the other parents, etc. I see if my POV might be outdated or wrong. Then I go from there.

Answer by gemgem at 2:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I just say no.."I'm you're Mommy.. no theirs".
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Not*
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I just tell my kids that this is our house and in our home we(mom and dad) set the rules. I think it's pretty easy.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 2:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Just say these are our rules.

Answer by older at 2:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My dd gets so mad at me at first when a situation like this comes up. But, then I expain why I say no, and that I am not their parent and that everyone is different. She will ususally understand once I can explain. She, instead of thinking I am mean, thinks the other parents are "bad" for letting their child do whatever!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 2:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• If the child is old enough to understand the reason for saying "No" then I make sure they are told the reason. I also point out that all parents are different and I have my way just as others have theirs.
    CreativityGirl

Answer by CreativityGirl at 2:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Sometimes, I can explain it (ie "this carseat is safer than if you sat in the regular seat like your cousin and we don't want you to get hurt", but sometimes the real answer is like "so you don't get spoiled like him" or "because if we gave it to you, you woulsn't appreciate it like if you worked for it" and there are times we drop the explanation to avoid the inevitable argument.

I expect we will become experts at this in the next 16 years or so.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My son is only 3 so its not too hard now but he has food allergies and I have to bring him seperate food to daycare and he can't have fast foods so he sadly asks why he needs special foods and why he cant' eat what everyone else does? I just have to be honest, his body is special and needs healthier foods to make HIM grow big and strong. In the long run it won't be a bad thing for him but it isn't always easy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My kids know that our rules are often different from other families, but they know those rules are there because we care about our kids.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011