Trade schools- accrediable? Appolo college, ITT Tech, etc

Have you graduation from a trade school and gotten a job? I am looking at Ultrasound technician. I can graduate faster from a trade school, but I wonder if hospitals hire from trade schools the same as actual colleges.

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 2:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• I graduated with a total of 9 certifications from a trade school and every job I tried to get upon graduation required at least an associate (2 year) degree. My certifications were not worth the paper they were printed on.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Look to see if your local community college has a program. Faster isn't better. And I'd rather hire someone from an accredited program than from ITT Tech or other for profit "school".
    Anonymous

• I agree, you are better off putting in your time at an accredited school. Hiring managers know what those trade schools are about- money, and they know that people who attend them are trying to go the fastest route possible.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I graduated from ITT Tech with a bachelors in Electronic Engineering. I was quite presently surprised at how many people in Electronics look favorably at trade school grads. The can pay less to grade school grads but if you're a hard worker, like me, you can do well.
    I graduated in 1995 and got a job only making 22k/year. It took me 10 years to do it but I know make $110k/year. If you possibly can an accredited school is more valuable, but if you can't trade school can still work.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 3:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Better to have an accredited education - community college, university ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:03 PM on Jun. 21, 2011