Riding bike alone

My son is 7. He constantly wants to ride his bike up and down the sidewalk without me. I won't let him. And it always turns into a fight that Billy's mom lets him ride his bike alone and why do I treat him like a baby.

He is only 7. I am not ready to let him ride his bike alone.

Am I being over protective?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depends on where you live and what the traffic is like. You have mother's intuition. If your intuition is telling you he is too young to ride alone, then you are probably right. Some parents allow there children to just wander. Most parents allow their children to have sex in their teens. I don't. Just because other parents are doing it doesn't make it right.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Ugh...I hate some of the Moms answers here. Haven't they watched the news? Yes I know it is a 1/10000 that a child will get snatched, but predators are everywhere...even in small towns and no busy roads. I am sure at 7 he is old enough to not go near traffic, but I would be scared of someone picking him up. Look up your local predator/pedophile watch/sex offender list....it will make you think twice. Most relocate to small quiet towns so they can not be recognized. Even if you don't see a lot in your area there is always someones first crime. I am sorry...but my child stays inside his yard, unless I am with him.
    elijahsmama09

Answer by elijahsmama09 at 8:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• my son is 8 and hes not allowed out by himself at all not even in the front yard
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• As long as they stay within a certain range of my house I let my little ones drive on the sidewalk, alone.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 3:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• is it a safe area? or high traffic? if it's a safe area, and close to home, i may allow my child
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Mine earned the privilege of riding up and down the street (on the sidewalk) when we lived in Chicago when they were 8, 7 and 6. At first they had to stay within a few houses but by the end of summer they were allowed to go corner to corner. The sidewalks there aren't right up against the street, though. There is a 5 foot wide buffer of grass plus all the cars parked along the curb.

Now that we moved they don't have bikes but they are free to run around our neighborhood including playing in the street since there is no traffic. They are 11, 9 1/2 , 8 1/2 and 5 although the 5yo can't leave our yard/driveway unless the older kids are out there.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• HI Billly's mommy here,, for real!!!!! My DS thinks he can go anywhere he wants by himself,,, at 6! I finally showed him a news clip of a little girl who was kidnapped in our area off of her bike,, they found her alive thank god, but we had a very long talk about what can happen when you are alone,, at least 2x's a week I take him to a big playground by our house and let him ride,, I also set a timer to sit on the front porch and let him ride up and down the sidewalk,,,,,we have come to an agreement,, and I was hoping this was too early for the if Joey jumped off a bridge, would you talk,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• BTW the girl who was kidnapped was in a town of 3,000, I don't know if you remember the boy who was found after 6 years, after he kidnapped another boy off of his bike, but same thing small towns,, no kid should be alone riding, walking, anywhere at anytime.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Right now, our rules are, the kids are not allowed outside without an adult. Most of our days are spent outside, but the kids want to do different things. The pool is in the backyard, with no place to ride bikes. But I have stood by my decision that he doesn't go out without me. The traffic here isn't bad... It's more the people I worry about. We live in a nice neighbor hood... But that doesn't mean there isn't a bad seed somewhere.

That's the thing I worry most about... And then I thought, well maybe I am being an overprotective, overbearing mom... So I wanted opinions.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It depends on where you live but why not start small like from one neighbors driveway to the one on the opposite side of your house.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 3:25 AM on Jun. 21, 2011