Weaning help!! My 12 month old doesn't like milk!

I am trying to wean my 12 month old from breast milk. She doesn't like whole milk at all. So I tried coconut milk. A little better but not much... any recommendations? I am thinking I might continue to nurse for a few months but I want to be introducing other things to her but she doesn't want any of it.

MandyP27

Asked by MandyP27 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies/ toddler/kids/people don't technically NEED milk anyway, make sure you offer and give calcium rich foods and you'll be fine :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My daughter was bottle fed, but when I tried to break her of the formula, on her first birthday, she wouldn't drink it. So that's how I broke her of the bottle! =).. She ate cheese, yogurt, and things, but wouldn't drink white milk.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I wonder how important it is for them to have milk a lot! Thank you!
    MandyP27

Comment by MandyP27 (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's isn't totally important for them to have milk. They can have any dairy. But if you want your baby to have milk, try organic. Not only does it not contain hormones and will last way longer in your refrigerator, but it tastes sweeter. I hate the taste of milk, but decided to drink a little because I didn't have anything else to drink. I was quite amazed at the sweetness of it. It wasn't so bad. My granddaughter doesn't like milk but will drink raw milk. It might have to do with the stuff they put in it including the preservatives.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think she'll get used to the taste of milk. Don't go crazy trying to find an alternative. She'll get there. Just give cheese, yogurt, hi calcium things in the meantime.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• You can always try soy milk, too, just make sure it's the fortified one. Nothing wrong with nursing well beyond a year! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yah..any dairy. I gave my strawberry milk.. chocolate milk.. vanilla milk..yogurt..ice cream..cheese.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think it's going to be a bumpy road at first, but keep at it. And try to give other things as the dairy portion and keep on introducing the milk. I would talk to the doctor and see about doing 2% milk instead, maybe they don't like the taste of whole milk.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Unless she turns into a cow, she doesn't need milk. Just make sure she has a balanced diet. Honestly, that's why I continue breastfeeding my toddlers. They are SOO picky at 1/2 years old, it's hard to make sure they get a balanced diet. And I really don't think milk constitutes a balanced diet for any child. Cow's milk was designed to turn a cute calf into a huge grass feeding, chambered stomached heifer or bull. Not exactly what I think is tailor-made for my child. If you nurse just a couple times a day, it will keep the stress away from worrying about if she's getting enough to eat, and then you can just offer healthy foods and not stress about whether or not she's going to eat them.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'm not against nursing longer, I nursed my second son for 2 years. But I am going on a hunting trip with my dad at the end of August so I really don't want to deal with engorged boobies while I'm gone so I just want to have her weaned by then. :)

Thanks for all the advice! I don't know why there is so much pressure to get them to drink milk. She loves dairy like cheese and yogurt!
    MandyP27

Comment by MandyP27 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011