My 2 1/2 year old son starting climbing out this past weekend and i need advice on how to handle it.

Well I have a queen mattress that I used this weekend but he doesn't wanna lay on it alone. Also we just moved to another apartment so he just wants to run aroind. So my question is do i need to lay with him until he sleeps or what how can I make this easy for and him. Thanks

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 3:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Out of his crib? Or toddler bed
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i wouldn't start laying down with him bc that will become habit, just keep putting him back in the room. in a week or so he will be with the program. if he gets out put him back in the bed and if you get frustrated put him in time out and explain it's bedtime, then put him back in bed.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• His crib
    saraelf

Comment by saraelf (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• How high is the bed from the ground? If he can climb well onto and off the queen bed then he'll be okay.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 3:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• He left the big boy bed in the middle of the night and came to my room to sleep with mommy and daddy.
    saraelf

Comment by saraelf (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• iits just the mattress but I'm worried about him waking up wandering around
    saraelf

Comment by saraelf (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Just keep telling him that when it's bedtime, he needs to stay in bed until morning, then tucking him back into his bed. It may take a week or so, but he'll get used to it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• If he comes to your bed in the middle of the night put him back just like you would at bed time. Eventually he will understand. If you don't have stairs I wouldn't worry too much but you may want to gate off the kitchen at night so he doesn't get hurt in there or even put the gate up in his bedroom doorway. Then he will have to wake you up if he wants to get out so he won't be able to wander around without you knowing at night. We put the gate across the kitchen so he can take himself potty but can't do any late night snacking or get a hold of any silverware/knives/cleaning products. Just keep putting him back and stay consistent with him. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• The timing is different for every child, Mostly between 2-3 yrs of age. If he/she's hit the three-foot mark in height or makes a jailbreak on a daily basis, itโ€™s time to switch to a toddler bed. =)
    WhitneyMommyOf2

Answer by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 9:45 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• we shut the door so the twins cant get out they were making a break for it out of there crib since they were like 15m they are 23m now and just have a matress they sleep on we put them in there room turn off the lights and say our good nights they have there matress but most of the time the sleep where they fall but they have lots of blankets the carry around so they dont care where they sleep gates dont work for us they just climb them so dhutting the door is the only option
    shannonnlotuz

Answer by shannonnlotuz at 6:29 AM on Jun. 22, 2011