Has anyone ever sold their breastmilk?

i was just wondering what your experiences were with it. i'm looking to make a little bit of money from it, but dont know how to get started.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• I don't think it's unethical. Not something for me - I had trouble producing enough for my kids! - but I really don't see why it would be considered unethical.

It's actually an incredibly old profession, just modern technology make it take on another form. If you've ever heard of a wet nurse, that is someone who is selling breast milk. In the case of a wet nurse, the milk in question is usually straight from wet nurse to baby, no pumping or storing.

A quick Google search found a couple of sites that may be of interest to you (I'm not vouching for them, just reposting them)

http://www.onlythebreast.com/ - a kind of Craigslist for buying/selling breast milk

http://www.hmbana.org/ - Human Milk Banking America, has detailed info about basic needs before milk being screened.

KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i think most people donate, there's a website that you can go onto if you google it that pays for the shipping. the milk goes to babies that are born prematurely and mother's can't make enough or any.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Nope...but I heard at one time Ben and Jerry's was looking into it for a breastmilk flavored ice cream.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• no. I think selling breastmilk is unethical. There is a whole community that is willing to donate it. That's what I would do.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's it illegal to sell breastmilk? If nothing else it's unethical.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have never heard of selling breastmilk, just donating.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree, I think you can only donate it.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011