Would this be illegal or unethical?

my BF and i don't work for this company anymore but my BF still has the key for public property gates. if i see someone locked in, would i be allowed to use the key to let them out?

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• It is illegal to be in possession of property for a company that no longer employs you, especially KEYS.
    As for unlocking the gate - its a nice thing to do, but those couples should actually keep an eye on the time and be responsible enough to leave the property before the gates get locked.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Why do you still have the key? I would give it back asap because if something bad happens there, you may be to blame.

& to answer your question.. it may be illegal that you have a key at all.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think if you don't work for them anymore I would give the key back. It is just asking for trouble. Suppose the person that is locked in did something wrong...then you let them out. Or suppose something happened when you unlocked the gate and the lock broke and vandalism occured. I would call someone who works for the company and let them know of the situation.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Probably illegal but i'd still do it.
    Anonymous

• it's my BF that has the key (i returned mine) and he doesn't work there anymore
    so technically it's illegal for him, but what if i used it?
    lizzybee44

Comment by lizzybee44 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think doing something nice for someone is never wrong...

HOWEVER...

I think it IS illegal and immoral to still have the key!!!
    Anonymous

• true, shaken!
    don't want to get myself in that situation!
    he carries them on him, and we run into couples all the time that are locked in, i just feel bad for them~
    lizzybee44

Comment by lizzybee44 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd turn those in. If you're no longer an employee you don't have legal right to have those. Unless you want to be arrested, in which case, go for it.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 3:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't.. but it sounds like you already did. You can change the past, but give that sucker back before something bad happens.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• no i haven't done it yet. i also have bathroom keyes which he gives me when i go jogging early in the morning when the restrooms aren't open yet! i haven't used them yet, but wonder, if i did how much trouble could i get into
    lizzybee44

Comment by lizzybee44 (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2011