How do Muslim college students enjoy college, especially the girls?

My niece finished her freshmen year in college. She has a 4.0, but a fail in socializing. There weren't many Muslims on campus and they grouped off by nationalities. She met a few non Muslims, Christians that she went to the movies with and shopping.

We are all pooling our money so she can return to college with a car. There is an active masjid in driving distance. She dresses modestly and wears hijab(scarf) and believes it turns off people in wanting to be cordial to her. There are some Muslim girls that dont wear scarves and fit in. During Ramadan, she hosted a few events, but that was the extent of her contact. She spent most of her time studying and volunteering.

Are there any Muslim students that can offer advice? We don't want her to become part of the enviornment. One student from our masjid, stopped dressing Islamically and her pictures are not at all modest. She is very popular, and we dont want my niece to compromise her values, but we want her to be happy. My sons have not had this problem

remark

Asked by remark at 3:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• she's happy, trust that. those immersed in God don't need to be popular
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 12:24 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• Personally I don't view college as a place for "Socializing" but rather becoming educated on material related to your future intended career, thus studying is the major activity when not in the classroom. I find it great that your niece has found time for volunteering and it is a far better contribution to spend her time on than "socializing" with others on campus which consists of parties and getting drunk. Be proud of her for having figured out her priorities early.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's a shame she can't find more people she relates to. If you don't mind saying - what part of the country is she in (for school)? My school is rather diverse, tons of girls who wear hijab, and a large Muslim population. The car probably will help, and talking to someone at the masjid to see what's normal in the area might give you a few ideas, too. It may be there are other things available closer to school, but she doesn't know about them until someone tells her.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Whats the problem with studying and volunteering? She'll meet people as long as she keeps putting herself out there even if its just a tiny bit at a time.

You make it sound like she is failing being a social superstar cuz she doesnt party harty like the rest of the people there. College isnt about socializing and partying...its about getting your education and pursuing a career in a path you adore. The rest is fluff and shouldnt be too fretted about.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think it is hard for anyone who goes to college and wants to be a serious student who does not drink to excess or use drugs. It is hard to make friends when you are different in any way. Just wondering, is she shy? That can make it hard, too. It's too bad that the Muslim students group themselves by nationality.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• This might be an opportunity for your niece to help fill a need by creating a cross-nationality group for female Muslim students. I realize that may be much easier said than done, but your niece cannot be the only person in her situation. Would anyone at her masjid be willing to host get togethers? Any faculty at her college willing to sponsor a student organization? You may be surprised at the number of non-Muslim faculty who would enjoy this kind of sponsorship. Are there any other colleges/universities in the vicinity that might have a group your niece could get involved with or that could have joint gatherings with? I hope your niece is able to find some like-minded individuals at her school that will give her more of a social life without any temptation to compromise her religious values.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 4:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• A friend of mine started a club at her school for Muslims. I forget what it was called but they have them all over the world and she just started the chapter at her school. She was able to meet a lot of people who she didn't even know were Muslim as well as educate others on the religion. I suggest your niece look into something like that.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I had a Muslim friend when I attended a community college. She used to take me with her when she had to go to the "praying" room. Each college has one or two rooms of this kind to accommodate Muslims students. My friend also used to wear a scarf over her head. She and a student from Japan were my best friends in college. IMO socialization is very important but more importantly is to work hard on obtaining good grades therefore a career. I have found out that having too many friends can sometimes occupy valuable time, time that could be spent on studying and meeting projects. Your niece is in the right path. With her GPA of 4.00 it is possible that she will not have to be looking for friends since each college arrange meetings for above average students to discuss internships and scholarships and future employers.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Where does she go to school-? I know American University in DC has a huge Muslim population and I bet she would find a niche there-
    College can be tough if you are mismatched for the University- I went to school in the South and many people from out West hated it there-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• soyousay

She goes to Pomona College. The academics is great for her, she created her own major and is going abroad to study. It was her first year, and that is sometimes very hard. But she is a good kid and says she will just try soe new activities.

remark

Comment by remark (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011