Im about to loose it!

My baby crys for attention all the time now! he's 15 months and no matter what im doing he crys for attention if i involve him then wont let him do something he throws a huge fit and i dont know what to do because i go to bed several hours later then he does because i have to clean up behind everyone! ahhh! it drives me nuts! i wake up and clean all day! and i involve him as much as i can so he doesnt feel left out i build blocks with him and teach him what im doing like sweeping and stuff and he really gets involved he even can brush his teeth but i dont know if im giving him enough attention? Im exhausted all the time now! i wake up with him and take care of him 4 days a week and the other 3 im cleaning up after everyone still....anyways i think im just gonna loose it =[ HELP PLEASE! are any of you in this situation or do you know what i should do!

Rawwwrxxx

Asked by Rawwwrxxx at 9:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• wow sounds kinda like me but now i have him in a daycare every mourning till afternoon and then hes grandmother takes him every sunday and sumtimes his dad does as well. it helps cuz i get stuff clean and also get to relax. i have him help me clean and it goes by faster.
    tripper1305

Answer by tripper1305 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Well, if he doesnt let you do what you need. put him in timeout.....he'll learn that when your done ,that you can play with him now. dont let him control you. you control him.....your mother and whatever you say goes.I dont have that problem put when my 19 month old daughter starts crying for something stupid (tacherm) i put her in the corner for 5 mins. then when i the 5 mins are up...i go and talk to her and i asked her did you hear what i said and she tells me something but i dont know what she saids..lol....so i answer for her and tell her yes...and then i tell her to get out and play....and she goes and play......but everyone rises thier kids differently.....dont spoil him to much....cause he'll be worst when he's 2 years old
    Flordeliz20

Answer by Flordeliz20 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Welcome to motherhood! Please, reconsider putting a child as young as yours in timeout for five minutes especially for just wanting your attention. We all get worn out from being constantly needed and having to keep a house on top of it, believe me I know. I have to enlist the help of my husband to give me a break. Are there any toys that can distract him while you get a minute to yourself. Or you can try a sling or carrier. I have even put mine in an umbrella stroller and wheeled it around the house to occupy! Be creative and ask for help. You are a human, not a robot and you need some time for yourself so that you can be in optimal shape to keep up with your baby.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 10:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• This sounds bad.... but maybe you're giving him too much attention. Let him amuse himself while you get things done. Show him his blocks, and let him play while you sweep the kitchen, whatever...... Let him do on his own. Hes getting to the age where he can learn a little independence. Teach him to use it wisely.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I agree with the last two ladies.... I really would go against time out for something hes not really doing wrong. Wanting mommy is not a nono. By this time there should be something that will distract him, like a toy, coloring book/crayons, movie/show something. My son used to be very needy too but now hes the best, he will watch an entire movie or play with his toys while Im cleaning house. My son is 23 months and Im lucky enough to be able to get things done now. When I would get so overwhelmed when he was smaller, I would just go into my room and sit there for a minute even if he was screaming at the top of his lungs. Sometimes we just need to take a time out to get our energy back. Good luck to you and I hope you can find something to keep him busy so you can get some stuff done and maybe even have you time.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Though I'm probably going to get bashed for this, I'm going to say it anyway because you asked for opinions. Put him in a playpen with a few toys and go about your work. It can be in the same room as you or in his room. My kids learned from about 6 months that mommy and daddy will not cater to them 24/7. It didn't hurt them at all, they are very loving children who are able to play alone or with each other for a bit so I can get the things done that I need to do. He will cry and it will break your heart. Should you decide to try this, you will need to be consistent. He will get the picture that sometimes mommy needs to do things without his help. Or, you could always try daycare for a few hours a week.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 11:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Clean later, I know that may be easier said than done but take time with your son. Also teach him how he can play on his own. Sounds like he wants and needs your attention because he just dosen't know how to play by himself. Sounds weird? It can happen, oddly enough babies need to be taught how to play!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I'm in the same boat as you. I made a area behind our couch that has a storage bin which i just got, that has buckets to put toys in. When I have to get something done I put her in that area and put a gate up. She throws a fit for a minute then starts to play.

Make a schedule for cleaning and instead of doing it at the end of the day, when you are tired and at wits end, try doing in the afternoon or morning. My schedule is Mon., Wed., Fri, I do dishes, clean living rooms, and sweep. Tues. and Thurs.- I do bathrooms, laundry, and tidy up bedrooms. Sat. Im off.. and Sunday the husband takes the garbage out! I dont always stick to the schedule and slack off some days. but don't let anyone fool you if they say their house is spotless all the time. You have a child and a life! RELAX, ENJOY... learn how to get things done easier and less stressful for you!!

MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• put him in an Ergo carrier or a Bjorn while you go about your daily life. being a mom is very difficult at times, and spanking/time outs at this age are gonna confuse him and make it worse...
    Anonymous