Epidural vs. Spinal block

Which do think is better, and safer?

Personal experiences?

monstersmommy20

Asked by monstersmommy20 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think they do a spinal block for a c-section and an epidural for regular birth. I had both, I didn't feel the difference.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• ive had both.. they are pretty much the samething. i dont think one if safer then the other.. I wouldnt have any if i had a choice. i had 2 c sections i went into labor so they gave me and epi and the 2nd i didnt go into labor so i got the spinal.. TO ME they arent worth it. I hated going numb it hurt my legs. and then comin out was SOOOO annoying with both i was itching and thrown up and i couldnt stand not moving my legs. If i could have pushed my kids out i would have gone all natural. I think its better for the baby too. Any med you take go to the baby. :)
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I had both at once when they did my repeat c-section with my second child. The first was an emergency c section due to complications caused by the epidural..... so I guess I would say neither if I had the option. lol.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i had the spinal for my planned c-sections and an epidural for the first try (ended in a c-section) they dont feel any different but they usually wont do a spinal unless u have a c-section
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 3:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I had an epidural during my induced labor with my son, when it became a c-section they did a spinal on top of that, with my daughter and that c-section I had just spinal. I didn't get sick afterwards from either. The spinal was easier because it was just a shot, as opposed to a the tube being left behind.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• When I had my first bab, I had a spinal block because they didn't have Epdurals in those days. (The 1960's) I didn't like it. I was basically numb from the waist down and couldn't even tell if I was pushing and I had to lie down flat for 8 hours after that. Ugh. My next two babies were almost natural----just a shot to relax me and a local for the episiotomy.I would advise trying to go without any epidurals or spinal blocks.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2011