Duggar show

Did anyone watch the Duggars last night (6/19/11) and what did you think about how Anna had her birth at home??? Have you had a at-home delivery???? please do tell your experience???

kristianmommy

Asked by kristianmommy at 3:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Entertainment

• I'm interested to hear about this one.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I haven't but would love to hear others experiences!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 3:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't really watch the Duggars, but I have had a home birth. Many studies have shown that it is as safe or even safter than a hospital birth for a pregnancy with no complications. It was much more convenient to bring my medical care to me and my baby for the birth than to pack us all up and go to a germy hospital for a day or two, and then pack it all up and come home again. My mom had some concerns until she met my very competent midwife and discussed with her what a home birth entails. Many people have a misconception that a home birth is a birth without medical care, but really it is just a different model of care.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I can not stand the Duggars, and I don't watch the show anymore. I've never had a homebirth.
    kittykat846

Answer by kittykat846 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'm personally not a fan of at-home deliveries only because there are things that can go wrong that might need serious medical attention right away...and sometimes a midwife doesn't have those skills or tools available to handle the issue and then you have a problem on your hands. Not all births are the same and you can't assume everything is going to be fine just because your pregnancy was fine. It took my doctor literally to the point of my son's head being out to realize his umbillical cord was tightly wrapped around his neck. So sometimes you don't even realize there's an issue until the baby is almost all the way out.
    Anonymous

• I am excited to watch the rerun:) I like the show- whenever I watch that show I feel like my life (with 2 kids and counting) is much more manageable.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 4:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't watch the show anymore and didn't have a homebirth. But I wanted to point out that complications can happen at any time. An uncomplicated pregnancy doesn't mean and uncomplicated birth.
    Anonymous

• I would love to have a homebirth. I didn't do it with my 2 children because my insurance wouldn't cover a midwife and I couldn't afford to pay out of pocket. My aunt had 3 home births and all were healthy babies. I also have 2 friends who had 2 homebirths each and another who just had one. If the birth becomes complicated, midwives have no problem rushing them to the hospital. All the women I know used a midwife that was also an RN or BSN. Both of my children born in the hospital were monitored more by the nurse. The doctor just came in at the last minute and sewed me back up. So, I don't see much of a difference between an RN in the hospital and paying one to come to your house.
    I know some of the show is scripted, but I know someone who met them in real life at a homeschool conference before they had a show and she said they are completely down to earth wonderful people. I don't want 19 kids, but I LOVE the show.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2011