Texas Mother Given 5 Years Probation for Spanking Her Daughter

http://www.parents.com/blogs/parents-news-now/2011/06/20/parenting-news/texas-mother-given-5-years-probation-for-spanking-her-daughter/

Rosalina Gonzales, a mother of three from Corpus Christi, Texas, was sentenced to five years’ probation, a $50 fine, and parenting classes after pleading guilty to spanking her two-year-old daughter on the rear-end last December under the charge of “Injury to a Child.” Gonzales did not use an object to spank her daughter, and the spank did not leave a bruise, but when the child’s grandmother noticed red marks, she took the child to the hospital.

The grandmother has custody of Gonzalez’s three children, though Gonzales is working with local Child Protective Services to regain custody.

At the sentencing hearing, 214th District Court Judge Jose Longoria admonished Gonzales that spanking is not acceptable in this day and age.

“You don’t spank children today,” said Longoria, “in the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don’t spank children. You understand?”

A Child Protective Services spokesperson told KZTV, a Corpus Christi station, that though the law does not forbid spanking, the practice is criminal when it injures a child.

What is your opinion of spanking as a form of discipline?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 3:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think there's more to the story than meets the eye, and the spanking was just the straw that broke the camel's back. If grandma has custody of all 3 kids, then that mother's doing something a lot worse than spanking a toddler.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 3:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• How long after the spanking did the grandmother notice the red marks? I guess they would be considered injury. But I sure as hell spank my child when she deserves it.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• As the other poster said, I would imagine there is more to the story. I do spank, once in a blue moon and see nothing wrong with it as long as you are not leaving marks and are not using objects.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My opinion on spanking is that it does not work, creating fear does not teach the why of things, specially on such a young child......

Answer by older at 4:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I do spank my daughter my daughters behind when she deserves it. I think its our god given right to discipline our children. However, theres probably more to this story, then again maybe not. TBH I think grandmothers should keep their noses out of their childrens business. If theres ABUSE going on, maybe. If theres spankings going on. Mind your beeswax.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i spank but i never leave marks on my child. i do think leaving red marks is too hard, leaving any mark is wrong!
    Anonymous

• It does seem the story is missing something...
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Wow! That is sooo messed up... there has to be more to it, tell me there's more to it...
    JaniceMc27

Answer by JaniceMc27 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Coming out of TX that's doubly shocking! But I tend to agree with the others, there is something else going on here. Spanking is legal and isn't "causing harm" so I would think she crossed a line somewhere...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• One more freedom they take away from us.
    Anonymous