What should I do about neighbor's kids?

We live in a small series of condos. Our neighbor in the next condo down got a Doberman puppy a couple months ago. They let it out to poo with a leash attached to its collar, but no one holding it. They live on the second floor, so the puppy has to go down 2 flights of stairs and into the small yard unattended. The only time I have seen them send the puppy down not alone, they send it with their 2 kids, a boy about 8-9 and a girl about 7-8. As soon as they are out of sight (the way their place is they cannot see the yard from their windows, but we can see their yard) they start to tease the puppy. It went from leaving him alone and running around the house, so the puppy had to charge after them alone (on a very busy street) to find them, to much meaner stuff. I've seen the boy hang the puppy by his collar, jerk him around, kick him, and various other things. This is NOT going to be a small dog, and eventually it is going to defend itself. There is currently no dog or animal control officer for our town, and I have no proof except what I have seen. I have tried to video it, since it happens every day, but haven't been ablt to catch cny "good stuff" yet. Should I just contact the police and let them deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pets

• I just had a thought. I think I would walk over to those kids when I saw them treating the puppy badly and let THEM know that I saw them and that if I saw it again, I would be calling the police. It might scare them enough to not do it again.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I should add that the puppy is constantly left alone in the small apartment, but doesn't ever seem to have any marks, bruises or anything on him. IDK if anyone would believe me without video, which I haven't been able to get yet....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Go talk to the parents and tell them what's going on. They may not handle it though. If that's the case, what about a county controlled animal control?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Sounds like the family may have bit off more than they can chew. But sadly it's easier to get your own kids taken away than it is to get someone's dog removed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Record them show it to rhe parents
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Unfortunately, there's not much you can do without proof. Stay with it...you'll get the video you need soon I'm sure.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree let them know they are being watched,sooner or later that dog will turn on the kids and more than likely be put down when all he is doing is defending itself. They are training it to be mean
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 7:52 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I would report it that dog is being abused.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 7:23 AM on Jun. 22, 2011