Dentist..

How old were your kid/s when you first took them to dentist? I have 16 months old DD, she had her first two at 4 months and now, she has 12 and lot more are coming thru and I feel like she is ready to see dentist to get a look at her teeth but I'm not sure how she will handle that.

breezymommie

Asked by breezymommie at 4:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Somewhere between 3 and 5 is soon enough. Baby teeth don't need to be checked, unless your child has some symptoms of a problem. Sometimes, if a child was really sick with a high fever, a tooth can come in without any enamel. This happened to one of my children. She had to get crowns at the age of 6.

For baby teeth, you can gently brush them. Don't even bother with toothpaste. Brushing cleans teeth, not paste. You can have your toddler learn to lie down on the couch, while you dry-brush their teeth. You might only be able to brush for a few seconds at first, but build up to about three minutes. Three minutes is how long all of us should brush our teeth. You'll be teaching your toddler good oral hygiene habits. Don't bother to floss yet. Baby teeth are usually so far apart that flossing isn't necessary.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My pediatrician told me that the first few times you go, it's basically just to get them used to going and not to be scared, so I would say take him when you feel he is ready. :) I took my first at 2 and am about to make her another appointment and her 2 year old sister her first appointment. ....I'm terrified that my youngest will bite the dentist! Yipes! She's a firey red head. lol.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I have a family dentist, though because he is not specifically a pediatric dentist he doesn't start seeing kids until they are 3 years old. Before turning 3 their pediatrician always checked their teeth and while they've always had perfect check ups I was told by their doctor if she had seen something that concerned her she would have referred me to a pediatric dentist.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 5:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't think our pediatric dentist will see them until age 2.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:05 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My eldest didn't get his teeth until he was a year old, so he was older before we went. My 3 year old has been going since he was 18 months old as he has had all of his teeth since he was an infant.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 21, 2011