Trying to wrap my head around this

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I had my check up today. They did an ultrasound because I'm not gaining weight and they wanted to make sure baby was ok. As it turns out he is great. What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how big he is. He weighs 7 lbs 10 oz right now and he is measuring at 39 weeks gestation. I still have 4 weeks to go til my due date, he is gonna be huge. They asked if there is any way that my due date could be off and its impossible that it would be. I hadnt had sex since Feb 2010 until Oct 23rd 2010. So I know the due date isnt off. I'm worried that I might have to have a c-section because he is to big and I really dont want to if I dont have to. Has anyone else had this happen? Or maybe delivered a baby bigger than 9 lbs by vaginal delivery? My daughter was 9 lbs 1 oz and she was a week late.

SMG1120

Asked by SMG1120 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• my cousin was recently told her baby was going to be big and she delivered him vaginally no probelems. He came out a week later weighing less than the ultrasound weight
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• The ultrasounds can be off by quite a bit. I would not put too much credit in them. I have had a 9lb 4 oz little one vaginally without any issues. You have done it before you will be fine this time too.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My baby measured 9 lbs at 38 weeks, which would have been 8 lbs at 36 weeks going by the 1/2 lb a week rule at the end. He was born 8 lbs 8 oz at 39 weeks. Ultrasounds are notorious by being off by up to 2 lbs. I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I read your body is prepared and can expand to birth up to 12 lbs, and even larger but thats when the problems start. My cousins baby was over 10lbs and she was like 100lbs lol. Also they should have told you those "guesses" can be off by 2+lbs. They wouldn't even guess at mine bc they can be so far off that mothers flip on them. The later they do an US on a pregnant woman the least accurate it is.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 5:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I agree with the others. I've never known these ultrasounds so late to be a reliable predictor. My SIL has a 12 lb baby (vaginally with no issues) and they thought her next one was going to be bigger so they forced a C-section based on an ultrasound and the baby was like 8 1/2 lbs, they thought it was 12. And many of my friends have had similar issues.

Not only that, but even if the baby was bigger, it's the size of the head and shoulders that counts (and how it fits in your body). If the baby has a little fat, that might not impede birth!
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• my mom gave birth to my sister naturally she was 10lbs 4oz
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 7:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My doctor told me never to worry about the ultrasound techs guess on the weight because that was exactly what it is a guess they can be off by as much as 2 pounds goodluck and congrats
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 10:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well at 37 weeks pregnant with my daughter they did an ultrasound and said she weighed 7 lbs 2 oz and at 41 weeks I gave birth to her and she was 9 lbs 1 oz. My biggest thing is that I dont want to have a c-section unless its absolutely medically important for baby and/or me. But I guess if I delivered my daughter vaginally with no problems what so ever, I imagine that they'll let me try with this one too.
    SMG1120

Comment by SMG1120 (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• At my 32 week appt I had an ultrasound because I was measuring large and at that point they told me he was 7.5 lbs and that he was going to be a big one.... he ended up only beinf 8.1 at birth and was born 1 day earlier than my due date...he grew fast in the begining and slower in the end and the dr said that can sometimes happen.
    mitchellb

Answer by mitchellb at 12:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• my husbands mom had her daughter vaginally and she weighed 10 pounds so it can happen just depends how dilation is going
    aliciareichle

Answer by aliciareichle at 4:37 PM on Jun. 21, 2011