Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

I've seen my neighbor's son abusing his sister, and have a video clip that would make a judge gasp, but he is only 9-10 years old.

I caught my neighbor's son on my video phone choking his sister, who is probably a year younger than him, with a dog leash (with the dog on the other end). He is only about 9-10 years old, but his behavior is really scary. I am worried about his sister, who also seems a little out of control. Their parents (?) put them out in the yard together and just don't watch them. Should I call CPS or just the police?
P.S. He is ALWAYS hurting her in one way or another, but this was just what I caught on video.


Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (19)
  • SERIOUSLY...WTF??? Why would you take time to "video" this without calling the police??? As a survivor of abuse, I simply cannot understand how someone takes the time to 'shoot a video' but not step in to stop abuse! I am by NO means trying to be rude...however would you have put the camera down had the child collapsed to the ground, or would you have continued to shoot the footage??? I don't get it, why does ANYONE not want to get involved when factually knowing and witnessing abuse? STOP this abuse, not now, but yesterday! To except it as 'none of my business" is to condone it and makes "us" no better than the abuser. No offense but this always "riles" me up when I read or see this behavior,CJ~

    Answer by ceejay1 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • I would call the police first and show them the video, see what they have to say, they will suggest a solution I am sure.

    Answer by older at 4:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • I would take action with extreme caution! Any child who displays that kind of behavior gets it from somewhere and it could be their parents. I would contact CPS and explain to them you want the parents to not know it was you for your own safety. Normally, I would always inform the parents, but not in this scenario.

    Answer by Gingerwheel at 4:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • Have you went to your neighbor and showed him? That would be my first stop; if he didn't take action, I'd probably escalate it.

    Answer by EgoTryptophan at 4:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • Call CPS and the police.

    Answer by CraftingMama at 4:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • I agree that he had to have learned this behavior from somewhere. It could be his parents, TV or his friends. I would tell the parents if you feel comfortable with them and are sure he didn't learn it from them. If not, I'd call CPS or the police.

    Answer by hill_star03 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • That video wouldnt be admissible in court due to the fact they weren't aware they were being taped. I've seen this go down. They could call it an invasion of privacy. I'd just call COS and let them investigate and decide. Just stay back, and remain anonymous.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • CPS not COS

    Btw it would only be admissible if it was on the street. I was told this by an officer because we called on out neighbors. From our upstairs window we could see them doing drugs in the back yard and the guy would beat on the girl. My dad took pics of it to show the cops. They said they can't nail them that way.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • You are spending time posting on here and not contacting CPS?

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

  • I'm sure the parents reprimand/punish the boy for hurting his sister. The girl must have said something to mom or dad. Can you look for signs on her neck, bruises that might indicate choking. Look in the video. Did you catch that?

    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 4:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011