What do you think about letting your kids watch TV a for few hours a day ?

Do you let your child(ren) watch Tv so you can get things done? I do this with my one year old a few times during the day. I just don't know what to do with her.. I am a SAHM I need breaks during the day so I put her in her pack n play to play and to watch some Max & Ruby. I just feel guilty and wonder if it will effect her speech or anything.. Not sure what to do with her when we have done everything! Your thoughts..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• my kids watch tv for awhile too ( especially max and ruby) ... while I am cleaning ( if they arent "helping") and then while I make supper...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 5:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I do it too, with my 3 y/o. Only educational stuff and never more than 1/2 hour at a time, but from about 7am (wake up) to 9 pm (bed time) she watches maybe 1.5-2 hours total.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Oh I understand your position!!!! I used to do that as well. It does affect your child to watch TV too much. It is good you chose a program that is empowering for children, but if you can I would suggest purchasing toys that would help her hand eye coordination or memory skills. Ages 0-6 are when a child's brains is like putty. You have the ability to form her capabilities. Musical instruments and hand-eye games activate all four lobes which in turn will help her when she starts learning to do math and problem solving. Starting the TV trend might lead to some bad habits, but it won't always. If you are concerned about money, you might be able to hit up some garage sales, thrift store or craigslist. I get all my daughters things from friends who no longer need them.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 5:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't mind my kids watching an little tv, maybe an hour a day. We like to watch dvd's a couple times a week as a family. So, I don't want them in front of the tv too much, if we have plans to watch something in the evening. I would rather see them outside, keeping busy with friends, staying active and getting some fresh air. As a parent, I try to instill good habits (eating, exercise, getting enough sleep) in my kids. Because they're learning these things when they're young, I think they'll be more apt to continue these habits as adults.
    LocnLoadJavaMom

Answer by LocnLoadJavaMom at 5:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• A one-year-old should be watching no more than a half hour of TV a day. (No TV at all is better yet for this age group.) TV is a passive activity. It requires nothing of the child.  It's better if children learn to entertain themselves, use their imaginations, invent, create, play with toys, listen to children's songs, and  look at books. (Fabric or other indestructible books for a year old.)

www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

LAG33

Answer by LAG33 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i see no problem w/ it. my DD has watched the full episode of Sesame Street (its an hour) since about 1 year old and she has the best vocabulary of any child her age. so long as its not an all day thing, she will be just fine!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• i dont see an issue with it. try to put some toys in the pack and play though if you havent already. a baby will listen to the tv and play with toys, so she will interact with herself but hear the tv.
    dfwhite

Answer by dfwhite at 6:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't have a problem with it and have never considered it "babysitting" or whatever other silly term people use. It's entertainment. It's fun to watch TV although none of my kids were interested in it before 18 months and then only for a few minutes at a time but after around age 2 it would occupy them long enough for me to get stuff done around the house. I don't believe in being my kids entertainment so I'm not going to be on the floor "engaging" them or whatever all day but I can't cook dinner with them following me around and getting stepped on. They are all older now except the baby and watch whatever TV they like as long as they behave. That is unless the weather is nice and then I toss them all outside to play. The baby is 11 months and has little interest in the TV. If I need to cook or clean I have one of the older kids (11, 9, 8 and 5) occupy him with something to keep him out of my way.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's a proven fact that television turns your brain to mush .

I don't approve of TV, video games, organized sports or computer time for children. They need to be playing outside. They need to be developing their curiosity, their creativity. Kids today are too hyped up. They are under too much stress. Go here, lessons there, rush here, do this, do that... is it any wonder that half of them can't sit still in school without drugs? You have the start of a good idea, putting her in her pack and play every day... but you could leave out the TV part. Establish a daily routine. Maybe you change her, dress her, feed her, and play with her. Then you put her in her pack and play for one hour every day. You do your chores, and she can see you moving around. If she is clean, safe, and has toys, she should be fine. Change the toys available to her regularly. After her play-by-herself time, you can play with her again.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• They watch it more in winter. Now that it is hot outside, and we have a pool...gosh, I cannot tell you the last time the tv was on. Maybe for us at night to catch the news, but we would rather be outside. If it rains, then they may watch a bit, but they have Leapfrog hand held games to play that they prefer.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:00 PM on Jun. 21, 2011