Is there any work left in this country?

Are you,your SO or both of you unemployed at the moment? If so,what do you do to survive? Do you look for side jobs,sell your belongings on Ebay,etc? Do you accept help from friends,family,government,etc?

3Beautiful_Bugs

Asked by 3Beautiful_Bugs at 5:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Money & Work

• Plenty of jobs, if you've got the right skills

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/14/eveningnews/main20071167.shtml#ixzz1PqwvBnVq
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My daughter moved to So America. She is teaching Environmental Economics and Chemistry and is a language resource (she is tri lingual) at a British Intl IB HS. The school provides her a decent salary, HC benefits, transportation (a driver), uniforms and a hot main meal daily. They also deal with and pay for all Visa issues. She is sharing a home with 2 teachers from England.

Much better than any job she was offered here in the states. OP, far as I can tell there are very few open jobs that provide a living wage. Education, skills, current experience and a connection are often times NOT enough. GL- there are many in your shoes.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Everyone in my family is doing fine with jobs. SO does get laid off for a period of a few months every single year though & we do unemployment, foodstamps. We survive during those months by stocking through out the year on food so we have a stock for when we have less money, stocking up on household items, not going out just paying our bills etc. Now we save all yaer long for lay off however, so far it hasent been enough & at the end of lay off the bank account reads $0 we hope to eventually have some left over after lay off one of these years. He does do side jobs though but bc its winter time its hard. The last few years he's peddled shrimp on the side of the road. We got rid of our truck this year though so we're not sure what will happen this winter just yet, time will tell he may be able to work through the winter at his job & if not then unemployment & something on the side =/
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Auto- even in professions were there are jobs that are far too many people applying for far too few jobs. In addition, many COs have open positions that they are choosing to leave vacant. My own unit has 12 open positions that will be left vacant...we could use those nurses and there are many clamoring to get in-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• There are over 10,000 open positions right now in the Energy sector. Who knew?! Avg. starting salary $85K, get a skill get a job.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah just so you know SO works for a large world wide company was just promoted gets $19something an hour soon to be more, has no college, only worked at the company for 4years & continues to move up the ladder bc he works his a$$ off for them. He is laid off bc where we live they cant do what they do in the winter time. SO's mom is a nurse & is doing very well. SO's step dad owns an auction bussiness. My dad owns apartment complexes near a college. There is plenty to do just got to work hard & look hard. I am convinced (not you OP per say) that a lot whine about no jobs but really arent looking & trying as hard as one should. Economy down = work your tail off to keep your head above water & that is what we all are doing, we're also a family of very hard working people & dont tolerate others who arent then whine about not being able to keep up or those who leave beyond their means. Good luck OP
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Monster.com has over 1,000 job openings for nurses today.
    Anonymous

• There is plenty of work here in Michigan, but they have made unemployment far too lucrative for people to actually be willing to work. Neither of us are out of work, and until I went on maternity leave, I was working 2 jobs. What I will say is that the wages being offered for jobs across the board are well below what they were when "times were good".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 5:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Tell me where you are and what your skills are and I'll give you some links.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous