Is chewing ice a sign of anemia?

Well, it is. Years ago I was constantly chewing ice and didn't think anything about it, other than how fun it was to annoy Robin and my co-workers. The more they complained, the more I crunched. I went to the doctor for something else. She asked me if I chewed a lot of ice and, lo and behold, turned out I was anemic. Took some stuff, ate some steak and spinach, and it went away. So did the ice chewing.

http://ruffbeachday.blogspot.com/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Health

• Wanting or craving strange things could be a sign of an iron deficiency, yes. This is why when pregnant women crave strange things, dirty, chalk, ice, they say to talk to your doctor because it might be your iron levels... And for those who say you aren't anemic, have you had blood work done, and talked to your doctor about this?? I said the same thing.... And I was wrong. It's a simple blood test.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I chew ice all the time and I am not anemic! I know I get my organs checked do to kidney problems and testing to find if I am anemic is something they check regularly along with organ functioning!
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 5:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I chew ice all the time. Love it. I am not animic either. done it all my life.

Answer by louise2 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I AM anemic- I hate chewing ice- in fact I can't stand cold things on my teeth. My hubby thinks I'm nuts cause I don't like ice cream!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I am anemic and I hate ice.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Most of the girls in my family on my moms side chew ice like its candy and none of them are anemic. I love eating ice, sometimes i just want ice and my doctors says everything is fine and im perfectly healthy. I think some people just like eating ice. Even my lil cousin who is 3yrs old likes eating ice because our aunts started giving us ice when we were little kids.
    shan02

Answer by shan02 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I am anemic, I don't chew ice, but I do love to have really cold bottled water with ice chunks in it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• now im curious, what does ice have to do with iron in your blood?
    sunnysideup89

Answer by sunnysideup89 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• IDK sunnyside - just thought it was an interesting concept and wanted to see other's opinions on it.
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Jun. 22, 2011