Why has everything become a costly milestone event? from "baby showers" to 30th birthdays to ruby wedding anniversaries ~

Gone are the small gatherings at home and cheap keepsakes such as the 21st key to the door. Even granny's 80th birthday is more likely to be held in a posh hotel with guests travelling half around the world to be there, with everyone pitching in to buy her a cruise around the Mediterranean.

Celebrating everything under the sun and spending more and more money on the parties throws up a dilemma for guests who cannot afford a decent gift, a new outfit or the cost of travelling to an event.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13809134

(This is not really a holiday category but I couldn't figure out where else to put it ..)

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Holidays

• I've never really experienced this at all....maybe all the people I know are cheap!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:41 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• That's abnormal to me.

I only know normal people. For my granny's 80th she had a money tree at the party - used what she got to take me and my mom on vacation.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Eh we have everything in between honestly. We celebrate birthdays pretty big, and of course major achievements like marriage, graduation and having babies. But to me those should be celebrated as big as you can afford. Like next year we have already started saving for my sons high school graduation and set up a bank account where family can put money in to give him for college, we have already told our favorite restaurant we are booking their hall for a party with a DJ the whole works. But my son is Autistic and this is a HUGE thing for him.

Answer by gemgem at 5:53 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Good question. We have people around us who expect us to break the bank on everything. Doesn't matter what it is, big or small, we're expected to drop an entire paycheck it seems and run to another state to celebrate. We've had to start syaing no and it pisses them off. I don't know what happened to a nice dinner at home or a reasonably priced restaurant, and a gift ONLY if it can be afforded.
    Anonymous

• This isn't true in my family at all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My family doesn't believe in bigger the better...
    Birthdays/Christmas are for the children ... other holidays or events are
    for close friends and family (usually no more than 20 and the same ppl all the time)
    to gather eat and drink... catch up... eat drink and catch up some more...

It is what we know we can afford and we all love it that way... the ONLY big event that is ever a bit more costly is
    our children's graduation parties... the last of the nephew/nieces are done now the next
    generation of grads are my grandchildren and the first one (if all goes well) isn't until 2018
    followed by 2019 then a huge gap between the next 4.... that is when most family come into
    town from all over... it's our way of celebrating a life's mile stone...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think everyone is watching too much reality TV and they have a bad case of "keeping up with the Joneses"!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:56 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I personally think that simplistic is the way to go, I don't see that big parties are worth it, save your money and use for something more useful.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2011