I found a roach and now I'm worried...how do I know if there are more?

I live in a townhouse and I am clean but not sure about the neighbor so anyway I found a roach in my sink, it was dead.
Could this have been a stray that crawled up through the pipes?
I just have this feeling of taking everything out of the cupboards and putting everything open in ziplocks.
what should I be doing to make sure this doesn't become a problem?
I have lived here for 5 yrs and this is the first one I have come across.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 5:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I used to live in a town house & when you're so close to your neighbors like that it def happens. Your neighbors could be fumigating their place because of the same problem which in return is making them run in your direction,, it's like a never-ending battle. I'd buy some cheap cockroach foggers from Osh or Walmart or something and set them off once a month. I used to know I had them when there was little black dots in the cupboards from their droppings. Or obviously when I saw one I'd know there was more to come. Just get some clorox wipes and clean out the cupboards, drawers, etc after you kill those suckers. Good luck hun!!

805doll

Answer by 805doll at 6:06 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I do not know where you live, but here in Miami, roaches are plentiful and costly to keep at bay!

Answer by older at 6:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• They live in the walls and it doesnt matter how clean you or the neighbor are they could have been there from previous tenants. Call you manager and tell them. They will send someone to spray to make sure they dont try and invest your place.

Answer by gemgem at 6:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Where there is one, there are many. It has nothing to do with being dirty... I would do a serious clean sweep. Are you renting? If so, talk to your landlord, let them know ASAP.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well most likely your neighbors have them and you'll need an exterminator if it's REALLY becoming a problemn. It's hard to get rid of them unless they get rid of theirs, but put ** traps ** around and spray, spray, spray, not much else I can suggest.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Roaches have droppings? I did not know this but I guess everything has to poop right? so I will for sure call management and we live in a cold climate so they are'nt as common as down south
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 6:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Good luck.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• They say when you see one, there are hundreds in the walls. I would call management asap. When I lived in an apartment, my neighbor had them. It wasn't long before I saw them in my apartment. I tried to treat them myself, but to no avail, since she wasn't treating. I called management and they had an exterminator come out. I was talking to him and he said the over the counter treatments are actually really bad to use because they drive the roaches deeper into the walls. It will kill some, but not all. The walls need to be sprayed inside.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2011