SO/SO child support

I saw this question and was kind of confused by how many people thought that if dad gets someone else pregnant, dad should get to pay less child support meaning mom should have to support the child they have together more. I am going through something similar and thought I would put in my situation for an example. Me and my ex have a 6 year old DD together. He pays $525 a month plus $100 for activities. This is the fair amount based on both of our incomes. Now he girlfriend is pregnant, they just had a baby 6 months ago, and he said he can't afford this one with the child support he is paying. He wants to take me to court for a reduction in child support. My thought is, too bad, he should have thought about that and so should his girlfriend, they both knew of his financial obligations to my DD before they had 2 children in less then 2 years. Why should I get my CS reduced because of this? I have no control over how many children they have, I can only control how many I have with my DH. Child support is based off of how much I make, how much my ex makes and the % of time each of us have her (he can't have her over night because they only have a 1 bedroom place). So me and my DH have 2 children together, should my ex have to pay me more child support because my income is spread over more children? Of course not, so why would anyone think that a man should get to pay less just because he has another child to support?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• He wont get it. Usually they only count added children from previous relationships I think? If he gets one itll be minor, so minor he will still be peeved. And I agree with you no one, man or woman, should have more children knowing they dont make enough money to support the child they do have. And before anyone gives you crap that amount isnt alot anyway. That is average now days. I get $400 for one child plus 50% of all medical, plus 50% of all activities he wants to be in. So it comes out about the same. Raising children is expensive.

Answer by gemgem at 6:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Oh I agree completely w/you momma!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• He won't get a reduction the judge might tell him to get another job or tell his girlfriend to get a job but he won't even care how many they have. He owes what he owes.
    Anonymous

• The judge will laugh him out of court. He should have thought twice.
    MoNKeyBoyz

Answer by MoNKeyBoyz at 6:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Of course not, so why would anyone think that a man should get to pay less just because he has another child to support?

If you were married to each other and these were all your kids together, would his job give him a raise every time you got pregnant? Or would you be expected to take the same income you had previously and divide it up amongst more mouths to feed? Personal responsibility is a nice idea, but it's not an excuse for someone to wish a baby to starve to death because their ex happens to be the father.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• If it was a matter of a child "starving to death" that would be one thing. But the girlfriend is on food stamps and WIC (she told me this) while living with my ex who makes more then the amount to get food stamps for sure.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Plus, why should my kids do with less because dad can't keep it in his pants????
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• why should my kids do with less because dad can't keep it in his pants

Same reason they would do with less if he couldn't keep it in his pants while you were together. Why do you expect him to treat the kids he has with you better than the treats the kids he has with anyone else? If the situation were reversed, and your kids were second instead of first, I doubt you'd have the same attitude about which kids deserve more, first or second.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• He won't get it trust me on that. The judge will pretty much tell him the same thing you are thinking.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 11:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Every state is different, but my ex got his child support reduced because of it.

He got a credit of $187 a month due to the fact he was now supporting another family. I live in Michigan.

It's not just a credit for men, though. If, per say, you were paying support to him, you would qualify for the same credit or reduction because you have another family to support.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2011