Gatlinburg TN anyone?

DH and I are considering vacationing there...anyone been there? suggestion?

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 6:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Travel

• Yes please!

I love that area. There is a small town called Townsend near there and a state park named Cades Cove that my family always vacationed at growing up. Gatlinburg is more on the touristy side and could keep you busy for forever if you wanted to. Pigeon Forge nearby is also very large. There are small towns. Beautiful rivers, great hiking, waterfalls, scenery. Anything you basically could want in that area. I wish I was there now.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• pretty much exactly what she said..its also very very pretty in the winter
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 6:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Looooooove Gatlinburg!! I've been there twice. I rented two different gorgeous cabins from Aunt Bugs Cabin Rentals. The last cabin I stayed in was 3 stories, jacuzzi, hottub, stone showers. It was called emerald city lights. Fiance & I are going again in either september or october, i can't wait, i really want to hike & see a waterfall. I highly recommend cades cove as well.
    TaraRichelle

Answer by TaraRichelle at 6:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Love it! Dh and I honeymooned there. We had a gorgeous secluded cabin with great views. So, you should stay in a cabin. There's so much to do, you will not be disappointed or bored. We went to the Dixie Stampede dinner and show. That was a lot of fun. There's a lot of great shopping, too. If you decide to go, have a great time!! :))
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 7:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's lovely if you like hiking! The town itself is kind of weird. Lots of knife and T-shirt shops, candy, lots of people everywhere, a few decent restaurants and lots of tourist traps (if Ripleys has a chain-attraction like "believe it or not museum", there's one there- I think there are 5 or 6 Ripleys places).

Once you get out of town, it's really nice. There is easy hiking (Laurel Falls is nice and I think it was paved!) and hard hiking (Appalachian trail, Kingmans' Dome, lots and lots more!), and lots of family restaurants, attractions, etc. Some of them are fun. I like Pigeon Forge, because I get a little claustrophobic when there's no parking, but it's nice to be able to walk everywhere, especially if you want a couple beers at the brewery.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'm from about an hour away from there. There are so many things to do in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/Sevierville. Dollywood and Splash Country, of course. There is a Titanic exhibit there now. A Ripley's musuem. Knoxville is fairly close and there is a good zoo and a pretty awesome aquarium if I'm remembering right. Lots of shopping on the main strip in Pigeon Forge. I would always recommend visiting there. I wish that I still lived there.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 7:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's a great place to visit.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 9:38 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• When we last went we stayed in a ski house near Ober Gatlinburg - my mom, dad, brother, and my whole family in a 5+ bedroom, 3 story house with community pool and it's own hot tub, amazing views for $2000 for the whole week. There were cheaper options for rental but this house was great for us (it even had a game room with arcade video games, pool, gaming systems, etc.). Check out VBRO.com (vacation rentals by owner) for TONS of options.

The trip before we stayed in Pigeon Forge, right down the road. $35/night for a 2-BR suite - not bad!!

We love the Ripley's Aquarium, and general touristy browsing in Gatlinburg; we love the 3-story Go Kart "coasters" in Pigeon Forge (The Track and Wild Woody!). We love to hike and did Laurel Falls as a full family (even my mom); my husband did a 18-miler by Klingman's Dome himself, and we explored Cades Cove. The kids earned their Shenandoah Junior Ranger.

Love it!
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 2:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• http://www.gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/

http://www.gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/attractions/

http://www.gatlinburg.com/default.asp

never been there but hope these help have fun
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011