How do you make your spaghetti sauce?

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 6:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Food & Drink

• http://gingernickgabriel.blogspot.com/2010/01/spinach-stuffed-chicken-parmesan-w.html

My marinara recipe is on there.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I open a jar of either Paul Newmans or Giada, pour it in a sauce pan, add some veggie sausage pattie to it and let it simmer :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:52 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I make a big batch every so often and freeze it in dinner-sized servings. I make my own tomato sauce from scratch with tomatoes from the farmer's market (canned has a ton of sodium). I add Italian seasoning, fresh, sauteed chopped onion and garlic, fresh parsley, oregano, and basil, and I often add spinach and carrot purée for more vitamins. I let it all simmer down while I make the meat to go into it (I make my meatloaf meat, but I just brown it in a pan, drain, then add it to the sauce). Continue to simmer for 15 min or so, stirring occasionally, never letting it burn on the bottom. Very simple, healthy, and tasty!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• brown onions and garlic, add a splash of red wine, brown the ground beef, add pasta sauce, some more red wine, salt and pepper a touch of beef stock, add sliced mushrooms and finely chopped carrots mix, cook for 10 mins add 2 teaspoons of sugar then reduce and heat on low for an hr or so.....adding beef stock if sauce is getting too thick along the way.....
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I make it full of veggies. I use onion, garlic, leeks, carrots, celery, chayote fruit (also called mirliton, very common here in Mexico) and obviously, tomatoes, either fresh when they're in season or canned and I add some tomato paste to make it more flavorful and with a deeper red color. I chop all the veggies, sautee them until soft, add the tomato paste and the tomatoes, basil and oregano, salt and pepper and let it simmer for a while, about 45 minutes. I puree everything in the blender, check the seasoning and that's it.
    When I make a batch, I make a huge batch and then keep it in the freezer to use it for quick pasta or homemade pizza.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Oh, I forgot, before simmering it, I add some water!

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Usually open an jar and warm on the stovetop. But when I make homemade... I brown meat (ground beef, sausage, etc), with garlic and onions. Then drain. I put back in a big pot. Add tomatoes (whole canned), tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper, veggies. Whatever seasonings I decide on. I let it simmer for hours. Oh, and water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I've never had good "homemade" sauce.

I buy the jarred kind - Francisco Rinaldi.

Brown some beef or ground turkey, throw it in the crockpot with 2 jars of sauce, add 2-3 Tbsp of sugar, and let it heat on low for 4-5 hours.
    Anonymous

• I open a jar of Newman's Own, lol.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011