Are you a "crusader" for Jesus?

Do you like to associate your beliefs with this type of title? What about a "warrior" of god?

Do you feel these words have negative connotations?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Nope, not a crusader for Jesus. I don't associate military imagery and icons with my religious beliefs.
    Yes, those words have a negative connotations for me.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• I want to add that I don't see Christians as "at war" with anyone/thing or struggling against anything, and I don't believe in going out and "winning" souls for Jesus. It's a mentality that I just don't have.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's not a violent physical war, it's a spiritual war against evil...you fight it with smiles, and prayer, and good choices, and acts of kindness.

Lots of different religions have a similar concept.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 12:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Im a christian but I don't call myself a warrior ect. I automatically think of someone preaching on the corner or where GODS word will be heard. I don't do that but im more than happy to talk to someone about HIM. I think as Christians it is our job to help others and spread the word, but it seems these days they know but don't want to hear it. So i don't waste my time its just falling on deaf ears any way.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, I am most certainly a warrior for God, a Crusader, whatever else you choose to label me. As a Christian, I do all I can to help advance the Kingdom of God daily. Do I shove it down someone's throat? No, I don't.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Oh, no, I don't prefer to think of my faith in that kind of context. It's just not very compatible with the way I view or practice my faith.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• A few pages ago the OP asked why God would need us crusading/witnessing/converting on His behalf.

I don't think He does.

But for those who believe that the punishment for sin is death, that everyone has sinned and there is no one - no one - who is "good enough" to not be punished by death for sin, but that Jesus died on the cross to be the scape-goat and take all the punishment for your sin and my sin upon himself, for anyone who simply acknowledges she is a sinner and accepts the pardon for her death sentence... for those who believe all of that (of which I am one), how could they sit back and say nothing?

I worship God for who He is.

I tell others what He's done for me and for them because I love them.

I do agree there are negative connotations of "warrior" and "crusader". But the motivation -at least for me - doesn't care at all what that label is.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:34 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't see 'soldier' having connotations of evil or rage at all. I think of bravery and strength! Even if you read the bible as allegory, surely you would understand the spiritual meaning of the "negative" terms in question. If you believe in good AND evil, that is. I kinda like the term 'warrior'...much better than 'MIA'...but that's another post.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:06 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• I know the down voting fairy hates me right now.

I just don't see how anyone can simplify whole wars and repeated wars to one simple reason. It's like saying the civil war was just over slavery...yes it's a factor, and crusader for God was a big factor...just not the ONLY one.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 2:09 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Nope I'm not a crusader of G-d, He certainly doesn't need little old me "crusading" on His behalf.
    The terms probably do have negative connotations of people trying to convert others. My religion doesn't really encourage conversion, so I don't see the need to "promote" G-d in any way.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 20, 2011