They send a bag of food home with my child from summer school? Have you all heard of this?

For the past 3 Fridays they have sent my son home a bag of food, like individual pudding, cereal, raviolis, corn, and stuff. He is not in the food program, and although a lovely gesture, I cook mostly from scratch,, I am embarrassed to ask, lol, and DS and I have been donating most of the food to a shelter? What is the deal?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 7:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in

• same camps I think just send healty food home as part of their program and nurtian. I would just donate like you have been doing. I would ask just for fun to see why they do send the items home.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 8:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I would just call and ask. There is nothing wrong in you wanting to know WHY he is being given food. ;-)
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Not sure. Bless you for donating it to the shelter
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I wouldn't be embarrassed to ask - I'd be curious. When my kids were in the afterschool program they used to come home with entire bags of graham crackers, fruit, whatever the daily snack was, because they had surplus and get more for every day. They didn't want it to go to waste - which it did because I didn't think to donate it like you did. :(
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 7:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd ask what's going on. It's nice of you to donate :)
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Call the principal and ask.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Our school does this too. It is some weekend food program. At our school the classroom teachers just picked certain kids they thought needed extra food to make it through the weekend. I would take the bag back to the school and tell them "thanks but we don't need this."
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I am by no means a health nut, but I cannot tolerate those little cans of stew, and stuff, he was so excited because he never gets stuff like that, but after explaining to him, not everyone has a mommy who cooks he was reall great about it, and tried to give his tooth fairy money,, I did ask the teacher, but she had no idea,, LOL!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Well EVERYONE gets one, and at the age of 6, I don't want him to feel different than his classmates, we go to a school that is more on the poor side, and as long as I donate it and don't waste it, I was just wondering if there was something new going on? Teacher does not know, because it is in aftercare.
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• idk, but a couple of times a year our school would donate a couple of outfits to "unfortunate" kids. maybe they think he needs it?
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011