please read what can i do

my 4 month old son has a bad cough and stuffy nose he has had it for about a week now but he have not got a fever yet his doc said to put some nasal drops in his nose but i really need to know what i can give him for the cold in his chest because when he drinks a bottle he'll spit up but it will be real thick like it's cold in it or something

shareka27

Asked by shareka27 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There is nothing OTC that you can give. If it's that bad, go back to the doctor and see if they can prescribe something.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• if the cough is bad you should take him back to the dr they will probaly give you a nebulizer and treatments beside saline and tylenol thats it :(
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• There isnt anything you can give a 4mo over the counter. I would try putting him in a room with a vaporizer going with some vicks in it for a few days and see how that helps. Good Luck and I hope your little one get to feeling better soon!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 10:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Honsetly there is nothing. Let it run it's course...the last thing you want to do is cover symptoms. Babies can get really sick really fast. Good luck!!!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• When my son had a really stuffed up nose, I took him in the steamy bathroom for about 10-15 minutes and had the cool mist humidifier running all night. That helped him a little. That would probably help with a chest cold too. I was also told that there is nothing over the counter that you can give to a baby that young. If it's viral it should only last a few more days since it's already been a week. I would call the doctor on monday if it's getting worse. That could mean it's bacterial and you would need antibiotics. Good luck. Sick babies are no fun at all.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• there is a GI bug going around right now. The best thing to do for a cough of cold in the chest is a humidifier a warm one does better than a cold one. if you don't have one let the shower and sink water run hot in the bathroom and sit in there with him for about 15-20 min right before bedtime even before naps and right when he gets up. Use nasal drops and wait about 2 minutes and suck it out same time as you do the heat steam. thats they best works ever.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 11:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• When my child had a cold, I put a pillow under the crib mattress. When I checked on him a later, he was at the bottom of his crib. If you want to prop the mattress up, I recommend that you roll up three blankets. Place one blanket where your son's legs will be. Place the other two blankets on either side of him. Place a sheet over the blankets. Now, you can put your son inside of the "U". (His legs should go over the bottom blanket.) This will keep him from sliding down to the bottom of the elevated mattress. If you think that your son is worsening, have a doctor look at him.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• after putting him in a steamy room... rock him and pat his back... really hard... well not enough to hurt him... it will help break up the mucus and he'll throw it up... make sure and flip him over so he spits it ALL out... do this a few times a day and in about two or three days he'll be over it.... he needs all that gunk out!!!
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 11:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Hey the best cure to me is some home mothering.
    Steam up your shower and let the steam enter his lungs.While ur sitting with him add the saline drops and the vicks. Wait 5 minutes and sucktion that nose. Try to stay in the bathroom with steam from 15-20 minutes at least three times a day.This helped my son at the same age when he went through it. Vicks is your friend as well, go to ur local drugstore they have baby vicks which is lighter than regular vicks and it will help, add a little vaseline to it since he isn't six months yet. And the last thing vaporize, vaporize, everywhere you go and he goes. Three days and my son was brand new again, but after day one you can hear the difference. Remember moms are like Doctors too because we know our children!
    karamelkizzes

Answer by karamelkizzes at 8:32 AM on Dec. 13, 2008

• when this happened to me I had my son on enfamil lipil then we changed to the ar formula and it cleared my son right up immediately within the first few bottles he was sounding a lot better... Try one can of that before you try anything else then get back to me and let me know if it worked or not if not I'll tell you what to do next....
    WhitAndAnt

Answer by WhitAndAnt at 11:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2008