My newborn wont always burp.. is .it me??

id say 80% of the time i just cant get her to burp wen shes done eating. i put her over my shoulder because im not comfy any other way, (had a csec n ridiculously sore to bend) is this normal?? do they not burp every time? i use dr brown bottles n playtex drop ins which i know are supposed to keep them from getting gas, could this be why shes not burping? or is it just me.. shes my first baby n im getting desperate for answers. thank you for taking the time to read my post and PLEASE respond,any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks again ladies!!

blue7eyed3girl

Asked by blue7eyed3girl at 7:35 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not all babies are that gassy. My 2nd didn't burp every time I patted him. Also, with both kids, I seemed to get more burps when I kind of sat them on my lap and had them kind of sitting up over my hand and patting their backs that way. I don't know if it was because they were more squatty so the air was forced up lol I hope you can picture what I'm saying.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It's NOT you. Not all babies will burp all the time. My kids were horrible burpers, but BOY could they fart! I asked my doctor about it once and she said, as long as the air is coming out either end they'll be fine.

And, like marine_wife it was easier for me to get a burp out of my kids if I had them sit on my knee/leg and patted their back that way. You just sit them side saddle on your leg (I usually had them on my left leg facing my right leg), put your thumb and index finger under their jaw to support the head, and gently rub and pat the back. If nothing comes out in a few minutes they may not be all that gassy.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• WOW congrads... You are doing great !!!!! you asked a question.. that is telling me you are doing great... It is said a burp for every ounce they drink... so depending on intake... sometimes.. they don't need to burp or they will get the hiccups. I breastfeed 3 of them and still couldn't a burp sometimes...
    I have 5 children only one at home15 yrs old,,, I put them on my shoulder like you do and then started at their lower back patted gentle upward repeating until I got a burp... or got tired... try to watch some tv while trying to get a burp.... Hang in there you doing great
    Hugs and smile Lynn
    LYNN51

Answer by LYNN51 at 8:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Try burping the baby other ways other than just over your shoulder. Also If you lay the baby flat then bring her back up to your shoulder that may dislodge the gas bubble. I always put my DS on my knee and burped him that way!
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 8:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My daughter used Dr. Browns and NEVER burped. It was rare. I would try so hard but she never did and never fussed like she needed to burp.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 8:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• IT might be that your baby isn't burpy, besides doing diffrent postions. There's not much you can do but no that it takes sometime, ,my son wouldn't burp really good right away. it's an art as well. Do the best you can!
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2011