My 19 month old wont eat healthy..

I give her fruits and vegitables.. but she wont eat them.. she looks at them and thinks she doesnt like them.. she puts them in her mouth and spits them out.. I've heard of puree ing the foods.. Any suggestions!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It can take as many as 15 times of introducing a new food for a child to like them, especially at this age. You HAVE to keep introducing them if you want her to enjoy them. My son hated blueberries for the longest time and then one day out of nowhere he LOVED them! You have to stick to it
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 1:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Just keep trying...is all you can do.
    SuperMommy0212

Answer by SuperMommy0212 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Yes keep trying and make sure she also sees you eating them also. Seeing mommy eat them may make her want them too.
    maddysmommy907

Answer by maddysmommy907 at 1:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• When you reach 15 tries, keep going! I tried giving my DD peas for nearly 2 months before she decided they were OK.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Keep trying... my son HATED green beans, unless it was baby food, but we kept trying & he really likes them now. Also, lets say she hates peas. Don't give her any Mac-n-cheese until she eats a few bites of the peas first.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• She'll eat anything you put in front of her if she gets hungry enough.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• My toddler won't eat fruit most of the time, but he'll drink it. I make fruit smoothies with yogurt and real fruit and give him a fun cup with a curly straw and that does the trick with fruits. With vegetables, I introduced peas, carrots, and corn with healthy cheese sauce and put them on the spoon with the macaroni and cheese. I agree with introducing it over and over. In addition, your child needs to see you eating the healthier foods and the junk should never be an option. Be persistent and consistent and it will pay off eventually.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 4:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• It takes more than one or two times for your child to develop a sense of like or dislike for foods. Persistence is key, and make sure she knows she is having healthy foods just like the rest of the family.... If you have to trick her into eating them. Mix veggies into the rest of her food, and if you have to make a fruity drink with milk and yogurt with fresh fruit.... Sometimes you just have to get a cool looking spoon or straw to get them excited. Good Luck, and keep trying!!!!
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 5:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Keep trying different foods & make sure your approach is positive (for example "I bet you will like this one" or "this one is very different do you like it?"). Bill fruit as dessert, but don't add any sugar or sweet toppings. Don't offer unhealthy foods for a while. Help her find her niche & don't talk to her about what is good for her.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I watched Oprah the other day and Jerry Seinfelds wife was on, she has a new book about pureing food and putting it into foods that her kids love. It looked like a good way to get kids to eat more healthy. I think the name of the book was "Disguising Delicious" ?? Might be worth a try. It was loaded w/ receipies from what I understand.

Bogi

Answer by Bogi at 7:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2008