Annual passes

Me and My dh buy annual and season passes for several places each year for us and our children, including my 7 year old son from a previous relationship. I told my ex when we bought them that if he wants to take my son to any of these places, he is welcome to use the pass only if he pays 1/3 of the cost of that pass or if he is only going to use it once or twice he can pay half of what it would cost to get my son in that day (so he still getting a discount BUT his is helping to pay for the pass he is using). Now my ex has my son for 5 days straight and wants to take him to Universal Studios (we have a pass there) but he feels he should get to use it for free since we already paid for it, it's not like it would hurt anything. But, in my opinion, if he wants to use it, he should help pay for it. 4 days in the park would cost almost the same as an annual pass so why does he have a problem with paying for 1/3 of the pass if he wants to use it? He says he can use the money he saves on admission to do something extra while there BUT we could take the money he pays us to use the pass and do something extra with OUR family when we go next month. WWYD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I'm going to disagree with every poster if he doesn't chip in why should he get the privilege more then likely he would have never taken your son for all those days if he wasn't getting the free ride and is being a cheap loser for not paying 1/3 he needs to step up and be a dad not a mooch as for everyone saying he should get it just because it's already paid for back off OP has a valid point he needs to chip in not be a jerk and use there money to fund his play time......OP don't let him have the pass until he can chip in
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 1:05 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• You've already paid for the pass, right? And you would have paid for it whether or not he ends up taking him and giving you any money towards it? I would just get over it and let him use it.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• What part of this isn't a big deal do you not understand? Tell him he can't use it then, tell him to pay full price for his son,, what do you want woman? YOUR kid get to have quality time with his DAD are you going to keep arguing about what you paid,, YOU ALREADY bought the damn pass! Tell your husband to take him somewhere else,, over 15 people have given you and answer that you don't like,,, here I will agree with you tell him you will keep your boy at home until he forks over the money for the pass, happy?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Good lord woman. It's not him getting a free vacation on your dime. Regardless if he would have ever used this pass you bought it anyway. So let me get this straight...you all would have gotten the pass, and DID get the pass, no matter what your ex was doing. Thats not him going on vacation on your dime. Thats letting your son use his pass, no matter who he's with. This is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard. Seriously. We use to buy passes to six flags every year for me and my kids. If my son wanted to go with one of his friends, or his aunt or my mom I hardly think i would have said, ok but they have to pay your way because they didn't pitch in on your pass. If someone else wanted to take him would you make them fork over money too when he's already got a pass. The thought would have never occured to me to do what your attempting to do. It's stupid.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think the pass is already paid for. Why not let him use it?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• The pass is already paid for so you won't be losing any money and your son can spend time with his father. Isn't that what is most important? What is best for the child?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think you're being petty. He wants to do something with his son that he might not otherwise be able to do. It's already bought and paid for. No skin off your back.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes, it was rude and sneaky of your ex not to chip in for the pass, but it would be even lower of you to not let him use it since it's already paid for.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'd just let him use it. I mean, you bought it to use with YOUR family. If the ex wasn't going to take him at all you'd still pay full price. And honestly, for all the deadbeat dads out there, I think it's great that he wants to do something like that with his son, and it's not like the ex is getting in on your dime. I'd be pretty pleased myself. :) What are you going to say? No? Would you really deprive your son of that time with his dad or force his dad to spend hundreds of dollars on entrance fees when ytour son has a pass? Silly. :)
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 8:15 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I think you should just let him use it. If a family friend or aunt/uncle wanted to take your son would you let them use the pass? What's the difference?
    Anonymous