how do I increase my breast milk supply

I have a one month old child. I have just found out now that she has thrush and I have problems with yeast- I feel like my milk supply is not getting any larger- and sometimes I think it might not be producing as much. What should I do to increase my milk supply.

ahesselmeyer

Asked by ahesselmeyer at 9:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your OB. There are medications and/or supplements you can take to increase your supply. Also, drink plenty of water.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 9:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• WHY do you think you're not producing enough? That's key. Many women think they're not, when their supply is just fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Well, first off, what makes you think your supply is decreasing? A good way to tell if your baby is getting enough is by the amount of wet diapers, which should be about 6-8 per day at that age. If you are convinced you have supply problem, you can try taking fenugreek, which is an herbal supplement. I've taken it, and it does help. Although, it makes you smell like maple syrup! There's also Mother's Tea, which I haven't tried. If all else fails, you can talk to your health care provider. There are prescription drugs that can help you produce more. Also, try pumping in between feedings, which will likely tell your body to make more. The more that comes out, the more you will make. Good luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 9:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Fenegreek has a bad side effect. I took it to increase my milk supply. It gave me terrible gas. I tried the Mother's tea, too. It did not do what the Fenegreek did.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 9:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Well it has been tricky to me so I am confused if my milk supply is okay or not. Sometimes I will pump and get 3 or 4 ounces- other times I will get one ounce like just now- I have been feeding her a lot today but it just seems like it would have increased since I am still getting only an ounce or two at a time.
    ahesselmeyer

Answer by ahesselmeyer at 9:41 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I nursed my son till he was 13 months old but when he was only 5 or 6 months I got a really bad cold and the idiot doctor prescribed me a medication that dried me almost all the way up. So my lactation consultant told me to get fenugreek and take 9 pills a day and drink lots and lots of water and eat oatmeal once or twice a day. I noticed my milk increase withing 3 days. It went from 1oz in each breast to 2oz and then 3oz the more I took it.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Also something that no one told me was that when your child starts eating more your milk supply might not be enough for them and this is what screwed me up. I noticed that he was still hungry and there was no more milk coming out so I would give him my frozen milk that I had pumped befor or formula but what I should have done is let him keep nursing even though there was no milk, that way my body would alert itself and start producing more milk. You live and learn.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• First things first, what you pump is not an accurate indication of your milk production, so don't even worry about what you pump. As pp have said count diapers, that is your indicator.  At about 4 - 6 weeks 2 things may be happening, your milk production will level out and make the perfect amount for baby and yet again another growth spurt. "Common times for growth spurts are during the first few days at home and around 7-10 days, 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, 3 months, 4 months, 6 months and 9 months (more or less). Babies don't read calendars, however, so your baby may do things differently." Either way the best answer is to put baby to the breast as often as baby wants, follow her cues. You are doing GREAT!!!

Here is a great article to read. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/04enough_milk.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Here is some additional information about thrush. (just in case you need it) Another thing is to make sure you are treated as well. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2008

• I have had three children. All of them had thrush shortly after birth. Oh, the pain! Right now, your daughter cries when she is eating because of the pain. It doesn't mean that she is not getting enough to eat. Fenugreek did not help increase my milk supply, however, Mother's Milk Tea did. Also, pay attention to what you eat. Eat a well-balanced meal. Do not excessively exercise. This might cause your supply to lessen. Pay attention to the amount of diapers your daughter wets. Mama_1 made a good point. "Another thing is to make sure you are treated as well." You will pass thrush back and forth between you and your daughter until it is gone. Hang in there. Once it is gone, you will be able to truly enjoy nursing.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 11:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2008