how much does froster parents make?

I grew up in a group home ( ft.worth) .I was 4 year old when I frist want to one.now I 40 year old now I never know that. I was just threw. A way.

kishianenn

Asked by kishianenn at 8:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Adoption

• I'm so sorry for everything that happened to you to make you feel this way. So sad.

oh btw, I don't know.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:10 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I know they have changed it quite a bit over the years, but as a foster mother now, I pay out far more than I receive to provide the care for the children. We are given allowances for expenses, but they are typically far lower than what it actually costs. For example, the clothing budget I receive when a child is placed with me is $125, and sometimes they only come with the clothes on their back. I am NOT going to buy them only clothes from Goodwill and yardsales, so by the time you think of socks, a coat, shoes, a few pairs of pants, shirts, pajamas, etc...we are WELL over $125. Those who do it for the money have to REALLY shortchange the children in their care, and hopefully the increased regulation is cutting down on this problem.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It depends on the state, agency, and how old the child is. However, a foster parent has to prove that they can provide for their current family before being considered as foster parents. The money pretty much goes for food, clothes, medical care, etc for the foster child.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• It depends on quite a bit. I used to work for a foster care agency out of Columbus, OH and we would pay our foster parents by the level of child they took in. For instance, a foster parent would get paid less for a 10 year old with no problems than they would a 10 year old with destructive behavior. It was more for babies and more for developmental delays. And it was even more for respite or emergency placement. It has been several years since I've worked there...1998...so things could have very well changed since then.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:14 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• It is not about how much a foster family "makes" by being parents. The money provided by the state for the care of the child. It is a given parents will feed, provide clothes, toys, hair cuts, gas to go places in the car, a home with water, gas, electric...in reality the money provided from the state never truly covers what most foster families pay out of their personal pocket by far. And notice I said most. Many kids I know in foster care have dance lessons, camps, karate, cell phones and computers. Backpacks, new clothes, shoes, allowances....the list is endless. I am truly very sorry for any child growing up in foster care with bad experiences but currently I work with several children in foster care who do not want to be adopted because they love their foster placements. Nothing wrong with the perspective parents but they see "perks" to being in foster placement.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• These "perks" are from their experiences. Not all kids find it so great but compared to where tgey have been the current homes are far better than an unknown. I believe most foster parents rock. Most. And I believe most try very hard. I can honestly say it is the kinship placements where I have seen kids slighted and cheated as far as money vs. care. Sad but true in my personal situations I have seen. Not every kinship placement, but many.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:21 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• My parents receive no actual money for fostering. They get WIC to help with food and the kids medical expenses are taken care of by the state. They can submit receipts for things like school clothes and they may or may not be reimbursed.
    Anonymous

• I get $244 per month........or about $8 a day for my foster child. I promise you that I "make" nothing. That $8 has to cover her food, clothing, diapers, wipes, OTC medications, toys, fuel used to take her to appointments, and everything from toothpaste to hair bows. Entertainment as well.........if we go to a movie or to the pool for the afternoon. All of that is supposed to be covered by that monthly check.
    How Ironic that a daycare provider would get $18 a day (paid by the state) for her care.
    Foster parents really do not get ahead financially..........but that isn't why we foster!

Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 12:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• Will gald to knoq some frosted home don't care for the money.but in one froster home we have to eat nothing but bean.we could buy clothes. We are doing all the work we don't to to school.there were something wrong with them .so that way is and asked that qustion if you are frosted rhw kids why are some much of us going threw on threw on the street when the turned 18 year old.rhw really don't care if those people.
    kishianenn

Comment by kishianenn (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2011

• LOL I KNOW there are people who foster for the money but I don't know HOW you would. We don't "make" anything - we're reimbursed for a portion of their care. We get $100 when the child first comes into placement for clothing. That's it. And I've NEVER gotten a child who came with anything but the clothes on their backs IF that was fit to wear. We are reimbursed about $11 a day - that is supposed to cover clothing, shoes, school supplies, pictures, diapers, activities, gas to take to the doctor, gas to transport back and forth to visits, added utilities and things for the home (and yes, they do go up - we've done it long enough I know), added vehicle insurance and larger vehicles, etc. $11 a day doesn't cover all that.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 11:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2011