Am I being rude?

When I had my first DS, there were 20 people there waiting for him to arrive. I was being induced, so everyone knew what time I was going in and on what day. Only 5 of the 20 were my family: my mom, stepdad, grandma, papa, and aunt. The other 15 were my husband's dad, aunts, uncles, sisters, nephews, cousins, etc. When my son was born I got 15 minutes alone with him to try to nurse, but since he wouldn't really latch at that moment they took him to get cleaned up.
By the time I got out the bathroom from getting cleaned up and the nurse showing me how to use all the stuff they give you to use after every potty visit, the room was full of people. I had to wait almost 3 hours before I got to hold my son because no one would give him up.
This time around, I just want grandparents and parents(mine and my husband's) to be there. Other people can come visit once we're home and I've had time to spend with my DS and get him use to nursing. My husband and his family think I'm being rude. That it shouldn't matter what I want, but what they want...and they ALL want to be at the hospital. My family respects my wishes, since I am the one giving birth and all.
Am I being rude by asking people to wait and visit until we get home and get settled in?

peekaboo90

Asked by peekaboo90 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It's your labor, your delivery, your baby. You can have who ever you want with you. You are not being rude at all, they should be embarrassed that they are acting this way about your decision. Just keep telling them NO. In the hospital make it clear to the nurses/doctor the only people you want allowed in your room. Good Luck and CONGRATULATIONS.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Nope not at all. I was the same way. You deserve to have some privacy.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No you're not. Stick to your guns. They are the rude ones for not respecting a.) your privacy b.) the fact that this is all very overwhelming for a newborn.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 9:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Heck no you aren't being rude, that's time for mom, dad and baby to bond and get acquainted, it's rude and selfish of them to intrude, and i'd tell them that! Don't tell them what hospital or when.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• You need some time with the baby. and you just had a freaking kid! There shouldn't be that many people and they should know better.
    monstersmommy20

Answer by monstersmommy20 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• you are not being rude..and heres what you do..if you can talk to your dr and nurse without anyone around..tell them who you want there and they will make everyone else leave or not let them in..it worked for me and they dont really tell that you are the one that said it..they will just say the dr said immediate family only that friends will be welcomed at home..
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No not rude at all!! Its a lot of pressure on you to have all of those people waiting, and you carried a baby for 9 months, you should relax and enjoy your first moments with him/her without having so many people bombard you.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No, they're being rude expecting you to have company after going through childbirth. Your husband should be on YOUR side not his family's. Especially in this case.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• You're not being rude at all. I made it perfectly clear that my son's father was the only one who would be in the room while I was in labor (along with the doctor and nurses and one awesome nursing student). My son was born at 8:50am and I told everybody to wait until 3pm to arrive. I needed time to bond with my baby. But you can bet that as soon as 3pm arrived, my room was FULL.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Your husband and his family have major issues if they think you are being rude!!! Tell him to push out the baby and see if he's in the mood for company. Lol I wish people understood. With my last son they drugged me to sleep because I'd been awake for 48 hours. Its your day hun.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2011