Have you ever traveled somewhere that everyone raves about, but you hated it?

Where was it and why did you dislike it?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Travel

• Myrtle Beach and Daytona. They had nothing on some of the other beaches that I have been to. Too touristy and dirty in my opinion. I know plenty of people that love them, I think I like a slower pace and that has a lot to do with it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 9:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Not hated , but some places were over-rated in my opinion , like Miami .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I'm kind of the opposite.

It's a joke in my husband's family about how much his father hated visiting Corn Palace, SD after such build up from other people. So when we were driving past, we HAD to pull off the highway and go see it. And I loved it! We go every year when we drive through SD, now. It's a great place to stretch your legs, and the kids think it's great. Too bad it's so close to Wall Drug, because we do that, too!

But as much as I love it (we are into the kitsch), I think we might set people up for the same disappointment as my FIL since I know not everyone has the same tastes as we do.

More to the point of your question, I didn't hate Niagara Falls, but I don't see why it's a honeymoon capital. It's cool, but it's no more than a day or two destination, IMO.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No, but I'm one of the few people I know of that has no desire at all to visit Hawaii. I live in California. If I want the beach, it's just right there. No need to fly 3k miles.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Florida wasn't worth the hype.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:50 AM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Cruise to Mexico - didn't like being stuck on a boat.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:58 PM on Jun. 21, 2011