Do you play your music extremely loud at home and in your car?

I keep my music contained. Today, i was walking to my car with my neighbor and her son. Someone was playing loud music with cursing. Her son said, " What's f***? My neighbor turned red, explained that it's a word that some people use that she doesn't want him using, etc. We talked about it until she calmed down.

Have you had a similar situation? Where you didn't want your kid exposed to something but had no control over it?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh God, don't get me started. This is an every day a hundred times a day occurrence. WHY do people feel the need to blast their music? Not everyone appreciates gems like Teach Me How To Duggie. I don't feel the need to blast Mozart's Cannon in D, or my country music for everyone in a 3 mile radius to hear and rattle glass in peoples homes. I think it is extremely rude, ignorant, and an invasion of my privacy. I do not live alone on this earth, not everyone shares my taste in music, Why should they have to put up with my tastes when I can enjoy my music at a decent level? Is this a status thing? I am unimpressed!

salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:02 PM on Jun. 21, 2011

• Yes-similar situation and I don't appreciate it. Mine is, being at the grocery store parking lot getting into or loading groceries into my car and someone sitting in the parking lot with speakers SO LOUD in their car that it rattles my organs inside my body, playing music with BAD language...You got it, F-word and everything you can imagine. This is ridiculous. I don't see how they themselves stand it so loud and I'm sure they will be deaf by 40 if they continue doing that. Really...I mean, how LOUD do you need music? It's annoying and eventually, I hope we have an ordinance for that nuisanse. They think they are free to play their filthy talking music as loud as they want, wherever they want and maybe they are for now....but, I have a right to be FREE from that just as much!! Being quiet is not annoying. Being overly loud is. Good question!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 9:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No. We have music on much of the time at home and in the car but never very loud . And we never play modern rock or rap with or without bad language . My children hate that stuff as much as I do .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Yes. Several years ago, a fool bought the house behind ours and allowed his teenage boys to live there, alone. They had loud parties that spilled into the yard. My kids learned lots of gangsta rap! It was horrible. Police were called several times, but they didn't stop. One day they were shooting pellet guns in their backyard....my DH went ballistic and told them in no uncertain terms that if they shot through our fence, where our kids and dog played or if our children were subjected to any more obscene language, including music....he would provide them with the opportunity to learn a new language....by ripping out their tongues! They moved shortly there after!
    boys2men2soon

Answer by boys2men2soon at 11:58 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I don't really have any issues with that. Mostly my kids have been exposed when I download a song from the radio onto my iPod and then burn it onto a mixed CD for a roadtrip and don't realize there are a lot of things edited out for radio. :/ Heh. Oops.
    BethLopez

Answer by BethLopez at 9:43 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I listen to it kinda loud in the car IF my kids arent in it! around my kids i mostly listen to disney or nick jr.
    raeyliNlilysmom

Answer by raeyliNlilysmom at 9:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• My kid gets exposed to language and nasty stuff on the school bus.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 9:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• The only time I blasted it was when my son was driving, practicing for his test and that was so he would relax. It was his music so it gave me a headache... damn, I am getting old, I sound like my mom.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• We play our music loud when the kids aren't with us. And we do have a couple songs that have adult language in them, but my kids hear it all over the place anyway. You can't protect your kids from it all the time. They will hear it. You just have to explain that it's adult language.
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2011