My doctor told me that he won't be taking anymore ultrasounds because the baby looks fine now. my last ultrasound was at 21 weeks. I would think he would take a 3rd trimester ultrasound. Is that not the case?

kb81888

Asked by kb81888 at 9:46 PM on Jun. 20, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Not typically. Usually your last ultrasound is around the 20 week mark.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:47 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I had one at about ten weeks to see how far along I was, I had one around 20 weeks to check out the baby and I found out the sex, and I had one right before being induced at 39 weeks to make sure the baby looked ok and I had enough fluids. That was it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Depends on the doctor and the situation. Iw ould not have had a 3rd trimester u/s with my first except he was 7 days late and I refused to be induced so I got another one. With DD it was standard to do a 3rd trimester u/s for a body mass calculation. they measured her head, femur, abdomen and fore arm to guess her weight and size. They were pretty much right also. They said 75 pounds. She was 7 pounds even.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• Standard these days is an early ultrasound at one of your first appointments at the anatomy scan around the halfway mark. Last-trimester ultrasound are usually only done if there's reason to suspect a problem of some kind, and that's the only way insurance will authorize it. Though you can always pay out of pocket for one if you really want.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• no need for any more ultrasounds. They are usually unnecessary. I did have to have one a week before I delivered bc baby stopped moving and they wanted to check the amniotic fluid to make sure everything was okay (which it was).
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• "AND the anatomy scan", not at. :-\
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:50 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• 1st baby, I had only 1 at 21 weeks & no more since the baby was fine. But, baby #2, I was high-risk, so I had to have one everytime. Sounds normal if he's not going to do anymore.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:51 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• No, it isn't usually done in the 3rd trimester unless there is an issue.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:57 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• I've never had a 3rd tri ultrasound. Well, there is a machine in one of the exam rooms, and he did a couple times show me the head down position of the baby, but that ultrasound was free and less than 1 minute from gel to done.

He does a nifty trick where he can feel your belly and tell you the weight of the baby. He's never been more than a couple ounces off. I'm pretty sure he'd have a shot of feeling any issues with fluid as well, but I can't guarantee it.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 20, 2011

• The only way insurance generally covers a later U/S it is if there is an issue. (and not being able to tell the sex is not an issue; that's why if you want to know the gender you just have to pray baby is active or positioned right at the anatomy U/S around 19-21 weeks!)

I did have a 36 week U/S with my second, because my first was so big and had issues that we would induce early for too large of a baby. It ended up not being an issue, but I did cherish my High Risk 4D U/S visit with my baby!

If you want another U/S, there are lots of non-MD office vanity baby U/S locations. They can include lots of pictures, videos available, and viewing room for friends and family. Seeing as how the dr.s office bills your insurance several hundred dollars that they won't pay for a well baby extra U/S, the other location is probably the cheaper option.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:12 PM on Jun. 20, 2011